cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with console of Aironet 1200

madmax0690
Level 1
Level 1

I have four Cisco Aironet 1200 Access Points all with the same issue. I cannot console into any of them. I am using the default settings of:

Baud rate: 9600

Data: 8 bit

Parity: none

Stop: 1 bit

Flow Control: None

I have tested the cables, connectors, and the computer that I am using Hyperterminal on with a Cisco 2600 router. Everything works fine. When I plug the cable into the Access Point, there's nothing on the console terminal. I have tried resetting the defaults on the access point and rebooting it. Nothing has worked.

I am able to access the AP web setup pages through the Ethernet.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Few things you can try:

a. Make sure you are not testing by plugging the console cable into ethernet port. I have seen a lot of people making mistakes by accidentally plugging into ethernet port rather than console (as both the ports are nearby

b. Since you are able to access it via web, are you able to telnet to the AP ? If then can you paste what is configured under "line con0" from a show run output from the AP CLI.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

j.beckner
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever fix this problem? I just ran into the same exact problem with a new AP1239AG-A-K9. I could get no response from the Console port, but received logs, and could telnet and HTTP to it. The same console cable could work with the console port on a 1841 router though.

I troubleshot the problem and found that the Access Point's console port is wired different than a router console port!!! The access point console port just has send, receive and ground on RJ-45 pins 2,3, and 4,5 respectively (the same as a router), BUT, the routers also have (RS-232) RTS, DTR , DSR and CTS on RJ-45 pins 1,2,7, and 8 respectively. My PC terminal emulator had RTS/CTS flow control on so it never would send with no CTS. I turned flow control off and then it worked fine. I think this is a major problem because there should be consistency in the console ports across product lines. The Cisco router console port has been the same for many years.

I found that the DB-9 adapters I purchased - not from Cisco- did not have pins 4 & 5 together. After rewiring these connectors everything worked fine. Your info is very valuable though.

Thank you

I turned off flow control and everything works like a champ! Thanks!!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card