cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP1522 as MeshRoot - Trunk Configuration Issues

cchitwood1
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco LAP1522 configured as a Root Mesh AP - it needs to support multiple vlans across the mesh.  The G0 port is configured for trunk with VLAN 310 as native and VLAN 590 added as an allowed vlan.

The AP is directly connect to a Cisco 3750G and works fine as long as the switchport is configured an access port with VLAN 310 assigned.  When configuring the port as a trunk (dot1q) with native vlan 310 or any or none, communication with the AP drops off and disassociates from the controller.

A sh int trunk lists the port as active and supported, but there is no communicating with the AP, there is no MAC active on the port.  It will remain this way until the switchport is reconfigured as an access port with VLAN 310 assigned.

The switch does have "vlan dot1q tag native" enabled to support other devices connected to this unit.

The AP and conrtoller are running 7.0.204.0 and the switch is at 12.2 (44) SE5

Any ideas?              

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everything tunnels back to the WLC unless you are using Ethernet bridging. So if you define the vlans on the WLC for the SSID's then your fine. If you are using Ethernet bridging then you need to use a trunk port and the vlan used for the Ethernet bridging gets placed on the switch and defiant get tunneled back to the WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your response, updated question posted on thread.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using ethernet bridging?

Why you need to configure the switchport as bridge? It works fine when it is an access port, right? so why to use a trunk port?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thank you for your response, updated question posted on thread.

cchitwood1
Level 1
Level 1

I am using ethernet bridging to extend connectivity to IP security cameras.  What I am gathering from the two response is that all traffic, including bridged devices is tunneled back to the controller so there is no need to Trunk the root AP connection to the wired network.  Is that correct?

No.... if your using Ethernet bridging, you need to configure the RAP's connection to the switch as a dot1q trunk.  You specify the vlan on the RAP and MAP and you define the allowed vlans on the trunk.  Ethernet bridging traffic will not tunnel back to the WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Yeah,  I've tried that - the second I do, all communication to the AP ceases.  The port remains connected, a "sh int trunk" indicates the trunk is active but the port doesn't even report a MAC to the switch.

Then maybe something is wrong with the cabling. A show cdp neighbor should show you a MAC address of the RAP at least.

-Scott

Yeah, I thought of that too.  Cable tested with Fluke meter passed with flying colors.  LIke I said, configured as an access point, AP works great - configure port as trunk and the link goes belly up.

Did you set the native vlan on the trunk to the APs vlan? That's probably the reason it breaks. So whatever the vlan the RAP is on, set that to the native vlan on the trunk port.

-Scott

Yep, tried messing with that too, all different native vlan settings on both the trunk port config on the switch and the native vlan on the MAP.  Same result.  I'm wondering if this would work using a 1552 as the root AP....

Every RAP and MAP needs to have Ethernet bridging. This does work with outdoor mesh and indoor mesh. It is mandatory for the raps IP address to be untagged. I have done this with both outdoor and indoor with no issues.

Can you attach your show ap summary and also the show run-config.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card