Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Web redirect without MD DNS Server

Elie Sbat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there

Actually, I want to configure layer 3 web redirect and i dont have any DNS server. I tried to use the core switch to resolve the name into ip through the comment ip host webauth 1.1.1.1 but it did not work, I am using the DHCP currently local on the controller any suggestions?

Thanks,

Elie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do?

Unless you've specified a DNS name on your Virtual Interface, webauth with redirect the client to the IP address of your Virtual Interface. Generally speaking you only put a DNS name on the Interface if you are using a certificate... For you to have a valid certificate, I would suspect it has a valid domain, and therefor you should be able to make a DNS entry global for that domain pointing webauth.domain.com  back to 1.1.1.1...... 

But if all you're trying to accomplish is webauth without a dns lookup resolving 1.1.1.1, then this should already be in place if you haven't put a name on the Virtual Interface.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do?

Unless you've specified a DNS name on your Virtual Interface, webauth with redirect the client to the IP address of your Virtual Interface. Generally speaking you only put a DNS name on the Interface if you are using a certificate... For you to have a valid certificate, I would suspect it has a valid domain, and therefor you should be able to make a DNS entry global for that domain pointing webauth.domain.com  back to 1.1.1.1...... 

But if all you're trying to accomplish is webauth without a dns lookup resolving 1.1.1.1, then this should already be in place if you haven't put a name on the Virtual Interface.

Terry

Once I removed the name of the virtual interface, the redirection happened without any DNS resolution

Many Thanks,

Elie

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card