Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

what is the best configuration to reduce broadcast domains in this enviroment:

Controller 5508 (7.2.x.x)

> 100 Locations

< 10 APs/Location

< 5 Clients/Location

all locations should have the same (3) SSIDs.

If I configure 3 interfaces per location so I need more than 300 interfaces.

Any tip for me?

Sven

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

< 10 APs/Location

< 5 Clients/Location

5 clients per location and you want to put 10 WAPs per location????

Seriously?  What for?  Will they be using wireless VoIP?  What applications will 10 APs/Location be used for?

Lower than 10 APs (most 1-3 AP/Location)

Regular there are no people in the locations (no office)

It's for maintanace, only.

No VoIP.

Applications: Mail and File-Access

If you plan to use 802.11 b/g radio, disable the following data rates:  1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps.

What Leo mentioned is good to reduce the signal from bleeding out too far, but I would also maybe reduce the power level of both the 2.4ghz and teh 5ghz.  Without really knowing how much you need to to cover is the question. 

Now as far as how you would deploy this, I would configure all the AP's in h-reap/felxconnect if possible.  This way you can drop the traffic off locally and define the 3 vlans on the network locally at the site and not back at the location the WLC is located.  You will need to trunk the access point ports and allow the managment vlan along with the three vlans for the SSID's.  Take a look at the design guid for h-reap/flexconnect.  This way you don't need to confiugre 300 interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg_flexconnect.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11635/products_tech_note09186a0080b7f141.shtml#fca

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks for the anwers.

Flexconnect is a good clue (hint?)

I will consider your proposal.

Thanks, again

Sven

If you want High Availability (HA) for your WLC, read on ...

Here's a little bit of "inside" informaton ... *wink*, *wink*, *wink*.

Delay your implementation of the WLC by, say, a week or two.  Then check the Cisco download for the firmware of the WLC for the new 7.3.X.

Read the Release Notes and play close attention to the "New Features" section.

I'm not sure if you're interested, but look for the following:

1.  A new HA licensing structure; and

2.  AP-SSO or Access Point Stateful Switchover - SUB-second (instead of 20 seconds) switch over from the primary to the specified secondary controller

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card