Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Traffic Consumption by MAC Address

ALI12
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,
I am currently using the Wi-Fi Mobility Express model AIR-AP1815I-I-K9, with WPA2 Personal authentication and MAC filtering enabled.
Is there any way to track the traffic consumption for each MAC address on a daily or weekly basis?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

@ALI12 

The access point does not have data base, so it will not hold any data.  What  you could try is enable SNMP on the AP and use some third party tool to monitor it.

Not sure however, if possible to get traffic per mac address.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_83/b_ME_User_Guide_83_chapter_01001.html#concept_rys_22s_qv

@Flavio Miranda Thank you for your input

The live monitoring system is currently displaying the data consumption for each MAC address.
This means, as you mentioned, that third-party applications might potentially store and display historical usage data.
However, the main question here is which application is being used and which protocol it is utilizing to capture this data.

AP.png

@Flavio Miranda 

Thank you for sharing the link. After reviewing the content, I wasn't able to find any specific solution regarding Traffic Consumption by MAC Address.

The link was to enable the NBAR but not sure if the AP will present the data in the format you need. As I said, the best chance would be to use some SNMP server , fetch the data and try to see if there is any way to get the data per mac address. I believe it is possible but I am not sure either.

@Flavio Miranda 

I also believe that it is possible, and I would greatly appreciate if we could learn from others experiences, particularly regarding the method and the name of the application used.

Thanks 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card