Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem in Ljinking the AP with WLC

faizan.mahmood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

i have using Cisco WLC 2504 with Version (8.1.102.0) and 1832 access point with image (ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JBB). When i connect the AP with the controller POE port its boot up but didnot associate with WLC.

-> I have configured the management interface for the capwap link establishment with the AP.

-> I have also static configurations on the access point through the commands:

# capwap ap ip add ------------- -------------- 

# capwap ap controller -------------------

statically assign the ip address on AP and controller 

AP discover the WLC but did not join the WLC. Kindly help me in that either it is version mismatch or something else ?

thanks 

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1832 requires the controller to be running, a minimum of, 8.1.122.0. 

My recommendation is to use 8.2.141.0 as it's more stable.

if we upgrade the controller to 8.2.141.0 version. 

Does the Access point 1832 image (ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JBB) also supported with the controller image. or it automatically upgraded.

Kindly help me in that 

The AP will download the software from the controller automatically.

Does the Access point 1832 image (ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JBB) also supported with the controller image. or it automatically upgraded.

The controller will identify and evaluate the AP.  Once the controller determines the AP is running a different version to the controller, the controller will push the correct image to the AP automatically.

I am using a new AP. When i configure the controller the access point doesnot link with the controller ..

Post the entire boot-up process of the AP.  I want to see the entire entries of the APs' attempt to contact the controller.

Benoit Loriaux
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What's the message you see from your AP ? Could you post the output ?

On the WLC if you go to the trap logs do you see anything in there ?

Does it affect only one AP ? Is this a new out of the box AP ?

Thanks,
Ben 

Hi Ben, 

I am using a new AP. When i configure the controller the access point doesnot link with the controller .. For simplicity i have statically configured the ip address of the AP and controller in the AP. The access point discover the controller but didnot join the controller. I didnot remember the log but it stuck on the code line. 

For the reference i used the compatibility matrix. Following is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Without logs from the AP it's taking extra time to troubleshoot but you said it can see the controller but won't join. So on the controller side if you look at the logs you will see something, you could search the logs with the MAC address or ip address.

Please navigate to this page and check if you even have anything listed in there ?
You could add the MAC address of your AP in there and see if that AP is joining...

Let me know ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card