Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS issues with Lightweight AP in local switching mode

pasolignac1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all, 

I am stuck by QoS behaviour when using my AP 3602 in local switching mode. Actually, I want to verify what is the DSCP to 802.11e UP conversion table in uplinks and downlinks.

In uplinks (from the wireless client to the wired server), I have good results with the following DSCP -> 802.11e UP conversion: 0x00 -> 0, 0x28 -> 1, 0x48 -> 2, 0x68 -> 3, 0x88 -> 4........0xE0 ->7

In downlinks (from the wired server to the wireless client), I cannot reach 802.11e UP values higher than 3. I have the following DSCP -> 802.11e UP conversion: 0x00 -> 0, 0x28 -> 2, 0x48 -> 3, 0x68 -> 3, 0x88 -> 3........ 0xE0 -> 3

My configuration is as follow:

- vWLC 8.0, where a WLAN is configured for local switching and local authentication. I am using only one AP 3602. QoS profile is set to Platinum (Voice)

- VLAN 31 is supported on the AP3602, and it is configured on the server side interface

- 802.1p fields are tagged on the server side according to DSCP values

- IPERF with option -S 'DSCP values' in UDP is used to generate traffic 

I hope you could help me.

Thank you  

3 Replies 3

What do you trust on the switchport where AP connects , DSCP or CoS ?

You have to trust CoS, if you want to enforce WLAN set QoS values

http://mrncciew.com/2013/07/23/qos-for-h-reap/

Note that above post is based on AireOS 7.0.116.0 code

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you for your answer, 

(I was on holidays, so I could not answered soon, sorry)

As I am only doing preliminary tests on WMM, I chose using a hub instead of a switch in order to limit configuration phases. Thus, my issue is not related to switchport trust pollicy. When I check wireshark traffic, the frames at the ingress interface of the AP have the good CoS and DSCP marking. The problem comes from the AP in locally switched mode that limits the translation between 802.1p and 802.11e to the value '3', whatever the QoS profile. Note that this problem does not appear when AP are configured in central switching mode.

I hope you could help me. If you need some wireshark logs, i can send it to you.

I got an answer from CISCO TAC

The behaviour I observed was due to a bug on vWLC 8.0.1.

Actually, using local authentication with QoS profile Platinum lead to the issue I mentionned. In order to prevent this bug, it is necessary to configure central authentication.

Thanks all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card