cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TPC channel aware setting

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

I'm hoping to find out more about the "channel aware" checkbox in RRM TPC settings. I'm under the impression that it takes channel overlap in to account when running the TPC algorithm, so the radios can power up more than they would if only RSSI of neighboring APs (and whatever else) were taken into account.

Is this how it works? Is it a desirable setting and common practice to use it? I thought it might make a difference in environments with different AP densities, maybe more beneficial in higher-density environments where coverage cells are smaller but the radios can be powered up without interfering with each other?

TAC once told me that it's recommended to enable it for 5 GHz but disable for 2.4 GHz. The AireOS 8.10 config guide also makes this recommendation. However, there's no mention of it in the 9800 best practice guide that I found, and it wasn't flagged when I uploaded my 9800 config to the online analyzer tool.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I did notice power levels on 5 GHz increase after enabling that setting. I'm concerned that it could cause misleading passive survey results by increasing power to the highest levels; I'd rather survey with TPC having set the power levels at a lower level to make sure there were adequate coverage then and the APs had power to spare in case of an AP failure.

I'm on 8.10.183.0 software on 8540s and getting ready to start moving APs to 9800s on 17.9.3.

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The "channel aware" checkbox in RRM TPC settings is used to adjust the transmit power levels of access points based on the channel utilization of neighboring access points. When this option is enabled, the access point takes into account the utilization of channels by neighboring access points when adjusting its transmit power level, in addition to other factors such as received signal strength, noise, and interference.
 Enabling the "channel aware" option can be beneficial in high-density environments where there are multiple access points within close proximity of each other. In such environments, it can help to reduce interference between access points and improve overall network performance. However, it's important to note that enabling this option can result in higher transmit power levels, which can potentially cause misleading passive survey results, as you have noted.
 t's worth noting that the recommendation to enable the "channel aware" option for 5 GHz and disable it for 2.4 GHz is a common practice, but it's not a hard and fast rule. The decision to enable or disable this option should be based on the specific needs and requirements of the network environment.
 When upgrading to 9800 series controllers, it's important to carefully review and adjust the RRM TPC settings as needed to ensure optimal network performance

- Note that when you are getting started with the 9800 platform you can always have (initial or not) configurations analyzed with the CLI command show tech wireless , have the output reviewed by : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer
                                        The above procedure is strongly advised in many situations .

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card