cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 5508 WLC in SSO with custom Mobility MAC Question

liamwalker91
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade multiple Cisco 5508 Wireless LAN controllers with 100s of Access points connecting to each. There are 2x Controllers set up at each site in AP SSO mode, with a custom Mobility MAC configured. The current software version is 7.4.100.0 and will be upgraded to 8.0.133.0, the latest recommended version. 

It looks like we're hitting a similar bug  to CSCuz60138 where the 'config redundancy mobilitymac' is removed when upgraded, but the workaround is actually really difficult in my situation. We have multiple WLANs configured with Mobility Anchors to Data centres and I need to upgrade these remotely as they are geographically all over so 'reconfiguring SSO' is not the best option. When turning off SSO all the ports on the Secondary unit are shutdown and seems like the only way to re-enable is to console on. Is there any version of software I can go in between 7.4 to 8.0.133 where the Mobility mac is not removed.

Has anyone else come across this situation?

2 Replies 2

RockstarWiFi
Level 1
Level 1

Have you asked TAC about this? This is a pretty specific question, and may take a while for community to respond?

One thought though... You don't have your OOB ports configured on a separate management network by chance? That would give you an additional management interface via IP, so you wouldn't have to console? Maybe you could have people connect that for you for the upgrade?

Those ports do have to be in a separate VLAN from the primary management interface, they are not auto-sensing/MDX etc. but should give you mgmt access remotely if you can get this setup?

Lastly and hate to even mention this, but console servers have become very cheap too so with Enterprises i worked with who had large numbers of controllers, network gear I would always have them add one. Check out Digi CM, you can get like 32port 1U console server for $200. These moments make it worth it:)

C

Cisco TAC Case was raised for this and using the Service Port seems to be the best option. We have since decided to accept the change of Mobility MAC and just to re-configure on the Anchor WLCs, as this is the quickest and easiest way to upgrade and keep the SSO

Thanks for your help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card