cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Internal DHCP server on WLC4402

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

This would seem like a simple configuration, but I just cannot get it working.  The previous administrator had used a Windows DHCP server for our guest WiFi, but I'd like to have the WLC handle it so Guest WiFi traffic never hits our Internal network. I've done these steps on the WLC:

1. Controller -> Internal DHCP Server -> DHCP Scope -> Create DHCP Scope & enable it
  2. Controller -> Interfaces -> guest -> leave "DHCP Server" fields empty
  3. WLANs -> Advanced -> DHCP -> Uncheck "Override" box, Check "Addr. Assignment" box

But DHCP requests time out.  Running wireshark, I see a request from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255, but the WLC never answers.

Ideas?

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Under the guest WLAN for DHCP server field you need to add the WLC managment IP address. Also make sure DHCP proxy is enabled on the WLC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

OK, wasn't sure if I needed to specify the WLC as the DHCP server, so I'll try that.

No luck enabling DHCP proxy. Thoughts?

Once proxy is enabled you need to add the dhcp server under the interfaces .. I assume they are empty .. This may be way ..

Understand proxy enable allows the wlc to request a dhcp request on behalf of the client .

Disabled the ip helpers move the dhcp request to the dhcp server ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App