Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Server 2008R2, NPS Event ID 14, Cisco Series 2500 Wireless Controler

tramza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've checked Internet and there are lots for question about it but no good solutions. It looks like common problem but nobody from Microsoft or cisco handled with it.

We set up W2K8 R2 NPS (Radius server) with Cisco Series 2500 Wireless Controler. Eveything look fine, Wi-Fi clients are authenticated successfully but in event viewer i see lot of these logs:

Event ID: 14

Source: NPS

General: A RADIUS message was received from RADIUS client 10.1.1.240 with an invalid authenticator. This is typically caused by mismatched shared secrets. Verify the configuration of the shared secret for the RADIUS client in the Network Policy Server snap-in and the configuration of the network access server.

This log is created every 2,3 seconds!

What is wrong? I've checked shared secret password, cretated manual, automatic, simply, complicated shared secret password and nothing. Still the same.

Does anybody could help with it?

3 Replies 3

anthonybiasi
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeing this exact same issue, with the exact same scenario as of 2 weeks ago. We restarted the NPS server and all of the sudden these error messages began showing up in the event log. I've tried re-entering the PSK on both the WLC and NPS server, but it doesn't change anything.

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue.

I'm having the same thing, but with 2012R2 server and a 5508 WLC running 8.0.133.

Its just started happening recently, possible after an update of the WLC firmware.

Ive changed the PSK on the NPS and the WLC to no avail.

mgendell
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same error on NPS plus the WLC was showing RADIUS server deactivations/activations in its log as well. I knew it couldn't be a shared secret issue because clients were able to authenticate. Turns out the issue was that the WLC was configured to send accounting data to the NPS server and that's what was generating the errors. Once I disabled accounting on the SSID on the WLC the errors stopped on both sides.

Didn't take the time to figure out why the NPS server didn't like the accounting data. It wasn't a port issue (WLC and NPS were both configured for port 1813). It could have been something to do with logging of the accounting data on the NPS server, but I didn't dig into it since we don't need it and it was just easier to disable it on the WLC side.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card