Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 multi country codes + mesh

Hartmann.J
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Location where it's not possible to get Network via cable so i was trying to Setup a AP in Bridge mode to cross the distance but after putting the AP in Bridge mode he couldnt join the WLC anymore.

After searching for the error i found out that Bridge mode is not supported if the WLC is Setup for multiple Country codes.

I have currently enabled 2 Country codes on my WLC

AT & HK

I only have 2APs in HK (AIR-CAP3502I-N-K9) and over 100 APs in AT.

Is there a possible way to get mesh to work (or something to Bridge my Network to the inaccessable Location) without removing the HK Country code?

If i Setup a diffrent WLC for HK it would work but having an WLC for 2 APS seemd a bit overkill.

Thanks for your Input!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Since AirOS 8.1 "Multicountry support for Mesh" has been added. So if you can find a 8.2 or 8.3 release which works for your deployment, this should no longer be a problem.

More info regarding unsupported features with mesh within current software releases:
8.0 release notes,
8.2 release notes,
8.3 release notes.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a requirement for bridge and there is no workaround.  Any AP's that will have bridge mode AP's will need to have a separate controller per country code.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Hello Scott,

thanks for the help, i guess i probably will have to get seperate Controllers for every Region.

I think i have a 2nd 5508 around, i guess i have to look about licences tho.

Is there any other method to get my Network there untill i have the Region seperated as a temporary solution?

There is no workaround if you need bridge mode. You would have to look at moving other AP's in local/flex to a controller to free up another controller that you can just have one country for defined. Until you can get other controllers just for your mesh, those AP's will never join. Depending on how many mesh, you might also look at the 2504 controllers just for mesh.

-Scott 

-Scott

Since AirOS 8.1 "Multicountry support for Mesh" has been added. So if you can find a 8.2 or 8.3 release which works for your deployment, this should no longer be a problem.

More info regarding unsupported features with mesh within current software releases:
8.0 release notes,
8.2 release notes,
8.3 release notes.

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Hello,

I updated to 8.3 and it works.

That said, the Webauthiaction for Guest WLAN was not working after the update to 8.3, ill maybe try 8.2  / 8.1 later and see if both work on one of those Version.

Ill Report back when i tried.

Thanks for the help !

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Every AP with a different country code have different permissible level of power and a regulatory authority board monitors these. So in case you wanna mix the AP with different codes, it will choose the ones with lower power level and operate which might not be to your advantage since the users might want to operate at higher power level. So, you can find out the permissible level of Transmission power and group AP with same level together and get another WLC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card