Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8500 and converged wireless

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

Are there any plans to support the "converged wireless access mode" on the 8500 controllers ?

Don't want to buy this $$$ controller to throw it away in a couple of months when 3850 switches will start appearing and require local termination...

BTW: will the 3850 ever support just plain pass-through for wireless ? The local termination is a PITA because i will need to replace my wifi APs at the same time i replace my access switch since current APs are not supported on 3850

regards,

Geert

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The converges access is really the 3850 and the 5760 models. It's probably best to speak with your Cisco SE regarding this. Will it support pass-through... I really doubt it. These IOS and AIOS are really two different beast and at setup differently. It really depends on what your design is and to be honest, I don't think they can get rid of the 8500, 5508, 7500, WiSM2 any time soon.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

>> I don't think they can get rid of the 8500, 5508, 7500, WiSM2 any time soon.

True. But if i am using one of these (and who isn't ?), doesn't this prevent me from deploying 3850 switches ??

Seems to me like Cisco is shooting in its own foot.....

Not really. You can have mobility setup between IOS and AIOS. Now would you.... I would think that would be ugly. What I have seen is these new IOS being setup in a greenfield deployment. Also, we are still deploying the AIOS devices than the IOS which really hasn't been very popular as of yet. They don't support FlexConnect or OEAP so there are design issue that forces you to use the AIOS devices.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco 5760 WLC and Cisco Catalyst 3850 are both based upon the same innovative UADP ASIC that enables uncompromised wireless performance with advanced services.

This ASIC is capable of terminating CAPWAP tunnel, which provides line-rate performance regardless of packet size, encryption, enforcement of security and QoS policies, and advanced visibility through Flexible NetFlow v9.

The Cisco 5760 WLC can operate in centralized mode (also known as local mode) as well as converged access mode, whereas the Cisco Catalyst 3850 operates in converged access mode. At this time, there is no support for office-extend access points, indoor or outdoor mesh, or FlexConnect access points on the Cisco 5760 WLC and Cisco Catalyst 3850.You can setup mobility between IOS and AIOS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card