Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Real-time translation in webex

Have you tried the real-time translation feature in webex via closed caption? How did you find it?

4 Replies 4

Please check the slides and the recording of the Cisco Live Session some weeks ago in Amsterdam.

https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-library.html?search.event=1675713481674001JK6C&search=collaboration#/session/1675722354135001tNsS

Realy helpful!

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

Note that the real-time translation (RTT) service does require a license.  There are 2 types of translation services.  Webex Assistant comes with the ability for the host to select their spoken language and display closed captions in that language.  The RTT gives the added ability for end users to select their preferred language.  This can be different than the host's spoken language.

Response Signature

Marcell Onay
Level 1
Level 1

As with any translation software avauîlable nowadays, the result is always depending on the quality of the input. The better the input is, the better the output will be. And I have this exact same experience when using the live translations via the closed caption option. In details this means that if the spoken language is not super clear, Webex will not be able to translate properly or just translates poorly. But you basically get the same result by just turning on the closed captions. So if you have a non english speaker speak english or with a certain dialect, Webex would even get the english closed captions wrong.

But is this a issue of the closed caption or translate feature? not really i would say. The more the features are used, the better it will get as its probably also AI/ML driven. And even though the feature is currently not perfect, i still find it very helpful.

Jeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Satyabhanu,

The real-time translation feature allows participants in the same meeting to communicate in different languages. Kindly use the below link for how to Show real-time translation and transcription in meetings and webinars. you will also be able to find supported languages and their known issues in the feature. 

Show real-time translation and transcription in meetings and webinars (webex.com)