cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC not booting after executing Recovery procedure/installing APIC software image

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

During an ACI Fabric Upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0 we lost the ability to boot the APICs.   Long story short, to maintain CIMC KVM capability we also upgraded the CIMC (CIMC Firmware first and then CIMC BIOS once we determined that that was the reason we were not booting).

Prior to that however we executed the procedure below on one of the APICs (sadly without TAC)

Insieme Fabric Controller (rfs1_version) on /frs1

Insieme Fabric Controller (rfs2_version) on /frs2

Conditions for Recovering or Installing APIC Software Image

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/managing_ACI_fabric_upgrades_and_downgrades/b_Managing_ACI_Fabric_Upgrades_and_Downgrades/b_Managing_ACI_Fabric_Upgrades_and_Downgrades_chapter_011.html#concept_94BCB001E1504030...

Now that one apic does not boot. See the attached image.

Is there a way to complete this recovery?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

gmonroy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Claudia,

I have quite a few questions about the information presented above but I feel I should begin by recommending a TAC case be opened to document exact steps taken to get into this situation and steps to get out of it.

That aside, given the above information, which process from the document was followed to attempt some level of recovery? Also from the attached screenshot, is the APIC no longer able to boot into the OS if either rfs partition is selected?

-Gabriel

Here is the high level chronology

After upgrade from 1.3(2k) to 2.0(2n) APIC was not reachable via CIMC KVM

Many hours struggling with Java to no avail

Upgraded CIMC Firmware, this plus Java modifications resulted in getting Virtual KVM back but now APIC would not boot.  Thinking that it was the original upgrade that resulted in a corrupted image I executed the procedure below "Installing APIC Software Using Virtual Media".

Now the APIC will not boot.  I tried both rfs partitions and the result is something like the bug below but without the version (1.2.3c)

Booting Insieme Fabric Controller 1.2.3c on /rfs1 in 0 seconds...
Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuz89437/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

Thanks!

Installing APIC Software Using Virtual Media

Installing or Upgrading the APIC software using vMedia requires the following high-level process:

• Obtain the relevant APIC .iso image from CCO.

• Access the Cisco Integrated Management Controller (IMC) web interface for the controller.

Note

For detailed instructions on accessing the IMC and managing virtual media, please see the corresponding IMC Configuration Guide for your controller's version of IMC software (1.5 or 2.0).

• Mount the .iso image using the Integrated Management Controller vMedia functionality

• Boot or power cycle the controller.

• During the boot process press F6 to select the Cisco vKVM-Mapped vDVD as the one-time boot device. You may be required to enter the BIOS password. The default password is 'password'.

• Follow the onscreen instructions to install the APIC software.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License