cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-SERVER-L3 with APIC-PCIE-1Q10GC (Intel X710 quad-port 10GBase-T)

sutha_entc
Level 1
Level 1

I am deploying new ACI with APIC-SERVER-L3 (UCS-C220M5)  with APIC-PCIE-1Q10GC (Intel X710 quad-port 10GBase-T) network adapter. I am observing the following during the deployment.

1. I can't access the Networking tab of the CIMC console. look like its locked. is this tab only available for Cisco VIC card for the configuration ?? is this correct behavior for third party card ??  

2. As per the APIC configuration guide for the VIC card, if we have 4 ports in the VIC card, it will represent in APIC GUI as two ports ( port 2-1 & 2-2 bundle together as 2-1, port 2-3 & 2-4 bundle together as 2-2). that's why the document also said to connect fabric uplinks ports to 2-1 & 2-3. but in my case I see all 4 ports (2-1,2-2,2-3,2-4) in APIC GUI. also ports are detected in APIC GUI in reverse order 

2-1 detect as 2-4 

2-2 detect as 2-3

2-3 detect as 2-2

2-4 detect as 2-1

is this correct behaviors?  I don't see any document for the third party card configuration. 

did anyone deployed APIC with Intel card experienced the above behaviors or am I missing something here? 

my APIC details as below 

CIMC version: 4.1(3f)

Server hardware: C220M5

ACI Version: 5.2(4e)

NOTE: I don't have any issue in fabric discovery or ACI configuration. all working as normal. 

appreciate if anyone help me here 

thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A few comments:

1. The APIC-PCIE-1Q10GC is not considered a Cisco VIC (Virtual Interface Card), its a intel ethernet NIC.  As such, it will not appear in the Networking panel of the IMC.  This tab is solely used by the VIC adapters to create virtual interfaces.  Your behavior is expected for that adapter.  You should see the Intel NIC under Chassis > Inventory >  Network Adapters though.

2.  Can you share a screenshot of your GUI APIC Controllers > APICx > Interfaces screen.  Feel free to blur our any MACs

Robert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A few comments:

1. The APIC-PCIE-1Q10GC is not considered a Cisco VIC (Virtual Interface Card), its a intel ethernet NIC.  As such, it will not appear in the Networking panel of the IMC.  This tab is solely used by the VIC adapters to create virtual interfaces.  Your behavior is expected for that adapter.  You should see the Intel NIC under Chassis > Inventory >  Network Adapters though.

2.  Can you share a screenshot of your GUI APIC Controllers > APICx > Interfaces screen.  Feel free to blur our any MACs

Robert

Hi Robert, 

thanks for your reply. please find the attachment for APIC interfaces screenshot. as you can see in the screenshot, we can see all 4 ports and also port 2-1 & 2-3 is actually physically connected interface but APIC detect it as 2-4 (2-1 in reverse order) & 2-2 (2-3 in reverse order).  I confirmed the order by physically connecting the cable to port 2-4 it detected as 2-1.

thanks

Could just be a case that Intel interfaces are right to left.  Not 100% sure, but regardless its not a problem.  Everything in your screenshot looks fine.  Bond0 (fabric) and Bond1(Mgmt) are created and functional.  Nothing to worry about here.

Robert

Hi Robert, 

thanks for your reply. 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License