Views
Helpful
Replies

how to expand APIC cluster

anoop verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

we have 3 APIC cluster in our ACI fabric. With this we can connect maximum 80 leaf. Now leaf count is increasing because of requirement. If i increase the cluster size from 3 to 5 , i can add up to 400 leaf. kindly answer below queries:-

1. How we can increase the cluster size from 3 to 5? what is the step by step procedure? Does it require re-configuration of 5 APIC (3 old + 2 new APIC)? we have multipod fabric setup.

2. Can we do it during production window? 

4 Replies 4

thriveverge
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco APIC Cluster Failure Scenarios
Problem: An APIC node fails within the cluster. For example, node 2 of a cluster of 5 APICs fails.

There are two available solutions:

Leave the target size and replace the APIC.

Reduce the cluster size to 4, decommission controller 5, and recommission it as APIC 2.The target size remains 4, and the operational size is 4 when the reconfigured APIC becomes active.

Note
You can add a replacement APIC to the cluster and expand the target and operational size. For instructions on how to add a new APIC, refer to the Cisco APIC Management, Installation, Upgrade, and Downgrade Guide.

Dear Thriveverge:

I have difficulty to find the add a new APIC node in Cisco APIC Management, Installation, Upgrade, and Downgrade Guide ?

Is below the Cisco APIC Management, Installation, Upgrade, and Downgrade Guide. which you mentioned?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/aci/apic/all/apic-installation-aci-upgrade-downgrade/Cisco-APIC-Installation-ACI-Upgrade-Downgrade-Guide.html

Thanks.

ian

ecsnnsls
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @anoop verma,

Here are my suggestions,

1-> The steps along with the guidelines are outlined in this link. Cisco APIC Getting Started Guide, Release 3.x - Cisco APIC Cluster Management [Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC)] - Cisco. You might have to select the version that matches your environment.

2-> Please execute the changes during a scheduled maintenance window. There should be no downtime.

Let me know if you have any questions from the steps listed on the link. Also, do you have Gen-1 switches in your environment?

Cheers.

leebolyard
Level 1
Level 1

When you are ready to add the 2 new APICs, they have to be on the same code. Here is a link that help me a couple weeks back as I had to add 2 in our environment.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/all/apic-installation-upgrade-downgrade/Cisco-APIC-Installation-Upgrade-Downgrade-Guide/m_installing_or_recovering_apic_images.html#id_22801

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License