cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of Config Interface Profile on ACI

am.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i am beginer network engineer and this is my first experience with Cisco ACI. 

I just create a new interface profile and then associated it into existing switch profile on Cisco ACI for future needs.

I have not even binding this interface to any epg or use it for any L3out.

My question is, when i do this, is there any impact on traffic in ACI? or maybe drop packet or something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi am.,

Welcome to the wonderful world of software defined networking and dynamic configuration.

One of the great beauties of ACI is that policies are not pushed to a switch until they are needed.  So even if you have built a complete Access Policy Chain, none of the embedded configuration of that chain gets applied to a ports that is contained in the chain until a particular port/VLAN combination is applied to an EPG or L3Out/Interface Profile/Port Profile.

So to answer your question:

is there any impact on traffic in ACI?

The answer is "No, building Access Policies (Leaf Profiles/Interface Profiles/Interface Policy Groups/Attachable Access Entity Profiles/Domians and VLAN/VXLAN Pools) has no affect on traffic in ACI."

Note: I will add one small exception: When you configure associate an Interface Selector to an Interface Policy Group, the Interface Policies in that Interface Policy Group are applied - such as enabling LLDP, LACP etc. So a Port Channel or VPC interface will come up before it is used.  Note however, that any VLANs defined in the Access Polciy Chain will not be enabled on that Port/PC/VPC until appropriate configuration is applied.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi am.,

Welcome to the wonderful world of software defined networking and dynamic configuration.

One of the great beauties of ACI is that policies are not pushed to a switch until they are needed.  So even if you have built a complete Access Policy Chain, none of the embedded configuration of that chain gets applied to a ports that is contained in the chain until a particular port/VLAN combination is applied to an EPG or L3Out/Interface Profile/Port Profile.

So to answer your question:

is there any impact on traffic in ACI?

The answer is "No, building Access Policies (Leaf Profiles/Interface Profiles/Interface Policy Groups/Attachable Access Entity Profiles/Domians and VLAN/VXLAN Pools) has no affect on traffic in ACI."

Note: I will add one small exception: When you configure associate an Interface Selector to an Interface Policy Group, the Interface Policies in that Interface Policy Group are applied - such as enabling LLDP, LACP etc. So a Port Channel or VPC interface will come up before it is used.  Note however, that any VLANs defined in the Access Polciy Chain will not be enabled on that Port/PC/VPC until appropriate configuration is applied.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the Answer.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License