Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface VPC Down

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently having the major fault "interface-vpc-down" showing in my vPC Policy Group. I am trying to understand it, since my VMs using this vPC CAN ping the Bridge Domain.

BertiniB_0-1693611964047.png

What is this error, and how could I fix it?
I am currently running ACI 5.2(7g) while the switches are using 14.2. (My switches can't go any more than this). Could this version mismatch be the cause of the vPC peering being faulty?

Here are some prints of some other errors that could be related:

BertiniB_1-1693612170507.pngBertiniB_2-1693612202025.png

6 Replies 6

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @BertiniB ,

Firstly, I'd advise against using APIC v5.x with switch software 14.x.

I wrote about this on my blog, youtube and facebook - see links below. Basically you run the risk of allowing ALL traffic to pass a contract if you have a filter for TCP port 22 defined.

But I can't say that the version mismatch is causing your problem.  Instead, I'd be looking to see that the LAG protocol/method you are using matches at both ends.  My suspicion is that one end is configured for LACP and the other is configured for something else.

References: Sorry for referring to my own blog, but I can't find any official Cisco documentation. The Facebook link is about as official as I can find.

https://rednectar.net/2020/09/05/aci-version-mismatch-alert-dont-use-v5-on-apic-and-v14-on-leaves/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCKj-eGBR5Y

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028679983855301/permalink/3549697478420193/

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply @RedNectar.

The other end is a UCS running ESXi, is necessary to configure anything on its side?

I am using vCenter.

EDIT: What you think could be the problem causing the Infra Tenant to be in critical Health Score?

Hi @BertiniB ,

The other end is a UCS running ESXi, is necessary to configure anything on its side?

That depends on what you have configured on the ACI side!!! Both sides must be compatible!

• If you have configured LACP Active on the ACI side, the ESXi needs to be configured with LACP Active or LACP Passive (See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004048)
  • If you have configured LACP Passive on the ACI side, the ESXi needs to be configured with LACP Active 
  • If you have configured any of the other non-LACP options (Static ONMAC PinningExplicit) on the ACI side, then don't enable LACP on the ESXi

But often people don't use VPCs to connect dual attached ESXi hosts.  Instead they

1. create a standard Access Port Policy Group - called say ESXi_APPG and set it up with CDP/LLDP etc (LLDP recommended if using VMM integration) and apply that APPG to both interfaces that connect to the ESXi. 
  2. configure Teaming and failover on the vSwitch on the ESXi for Route based on originating virtual port or Route based on source MAC hash
    vSwitch config -not from ACI but same configvSwitch config -not from ACI but same config
EDIT: What you think could be the problem causing the Infra Tenant to be in critical Health Score?

I didn't see any errors in the Infra tenant - at least in the ones that you posted.  If you mean this image

https://community.cisco.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/195961iB003E24992AEBC94/

then the error is referring to the infra path of the MIT - if you look at the distinguished name of the VPC you will see something like

uni/infra/funcprof/accbundle-name_of_your_VPC

RedNectar's Forum Tip:

When posting on the forum, add your pictures inline - i.e. PASTE your picture right where you want it.  If it is a screenshot, you'll probably then want to click on the image and make the image large - like this.

RedNectar_1-1685651021448.png

This means you pictures are actually SEEN (a) in the email that gets sent to subscribers and (b) anyone who looks at this post in the future. Adding pictures as attachments... puts your submission into the TL;DR category.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @RedNectar 
I have the following setup:

BertiniB_0-1693691400915.png

Wouldn`t vPC be used? 
So I would configure a vPC in the ACI side in "Interface Configuration" and in the vCenter I would create a LAG?
I did this (created a LAG and moved the NICs of the hosts to the LAG with LAC Active) and one Port-channel came up. 

One did not, but I suspect that maybe the NIC of the one that didn`t come up is defective since it doesn`t even show in the cdp neighbors of leaf2 but shows duplicated in the cdp neighbors of leaf 1. Also someone who did this lab in the past here said that one of the NICs were acting strangely.

BertiniB_3-1693692130354.png

BertiniB_4-1693692168657.png

BertiniB_1-1693692034866.png

BertiniB_2-1693692068072.png

BertiniB_5-1693692318529.png

BertiniB
Level 1
Level 1

Update: It seems that changing the policy of vPC in ACI for both vPCs to MAC-Pinning instead of LACP-Active, the faults are removed and the show vpc brief shows both vPCs up.

BertiniB_0-1693692840625.png

So let me try to understand it. If I want to use LACP for the vPC I have to configure LACP also on the VDS in vCenter by creating the LAG interfaces and attaching the hosts NICs to them? 

If I don`t want such additional complexity, I just use MAC-Pinning on the ACI side and I don`t have to do any additional configuration on the vCenter side?
Sorry for the basic questions, I am new to vPC and how it works.

Hi @BertiniB 

Update: It seems that changing the policy of vPC in ACI for both vPCs to MAC-Pinning instead of LACP-Active, the faults are removed and the show vpc brief shows both vPCs up.

So let me try to understand it. If I want to use LACP for the vPC I have to configure LACP also on the VDS in vCenter by creating the LAG interfaces and attaching the hosts NICs to them? 

If I don`t want such additional complexity, I just use MAC-Pinning on the ACI side and I don`t have to do any additional configuration on the vCenter side?
Sorry for the basic questions, I am new to vPC and how it works.

You've nailed it!  Well done.

MAC-Pinning is a great way to go. LACP is complicated to get right all the time

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License