Views
Helpful
Replies

L3out to virtual machine with Vmware-Integration

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hallo,

I am a blockhead right now in terms of how to integrate a virtual router into aci. I know how to attach physical firewalls with a L3out, however I don't know how to do this with virtual machines.

We have an ESX-environment with AVS (soon AVE) in VXLAN-Mode where I'd like to have virtual machines take over a routing function (Loadbalancer, vASA, VPN-Router). If I create a L3out I need to configure a static path that is related to a physical switchport with a vlan encap, which doesnt't make sense in this environment. Is there any other way?

Would it be different if we had Vmware-Integration in classic vlan mode? I imagine I could use the same VLAN-ID for L3out like I used for the EPG of the Router-VM, but I suppose this would raise a fault, like "encap already in use" or something like that.

Is there any document covering my Usecase?

Best regards

Pille

3 Replies 3

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hallo,

is it that nobody knows how to do this or is it unclear what I am asking?

Regards

wantwang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Attach your virtual machine in a different networking"port-group" and avoid using the same vlan as other EPGs.

But I am still confused how to configure the "path" to the fabric.

Hi,

I am doing AVS with vxlan, so there is no vlan encap I could use. But let's assume I'd use classic Vmware DVS I could select a dedicated VLAN/Portgroup for the router vm, but what next?

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License