Views
Helpful
Replies

Port bundling between ASA and Nexus

ashwin_kuhikar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the set up attached, Nexus will act as gate way for all servers connecting benith it.

Can anyone please suggest, if i can:
1. logically combine all 4 ports (2 from FW-A and 2 from FW-B) firewalls into a single port-channel group ?
2. logically combine all 4 ports of Nexus into a single port-channel/vPC group ?

So as to create a logical single port-channel between Nexus and ASA. This port-channel will be L3 link between Nexus and ASA and i am planning to create multiple sub-interfaces on this port-channel (sub-interface IPs will be provided on the same).

Please share sample config if possible.
Please find attached diagram for reference.

Thanks/Ashwin

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If there are two firewalls, then you need to separate port channels.

On the ASA side you need to be running at least 9.x code.  On the ASA, you need something like:

interface GigabitEthernet0/2
channel-group 2 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/3
channel-group 2 mode active

interface Port-channel2

interface Port-channel2.100

vlan 100

Note that port-channelling on an ASA is only done for failover.  It does not increase throughput.

You can also tell the ASA to create active/standby interfaces.

interface Redundant1
 member-interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 member-interface GigabitEthernet0/1

interface Redundant1.100

vlan 100

Active/Standby requires no special configure on the switch side, since only one interface is active at a time.

Hi p.dath,

So you mean to say that, I can combine all the interfaces of all nexus to make a single port-channel and there will be 2 ports channels in case of firewalls.

Please confirm if the diagram will look like the attached one ?

Thanks/Ashwin

Sorry for not making myself clearer.  Your original diagram was correct.

All 4 ports in FW-A can be in one port channel (such as 100), and all 4 ports in FW-B can be in another Etherchannel (such as 200).

Hi p.dath,

Sorry to confuse you. I shall re-frame my question once again.

In the set up attached, Nexus will act as gate way for all servers connecting benith it.

please suggest, if i can:
1. logically combine all 8 ports (4 from FW-A and 4 from FW-B) firewalls into a single port-channel group ? Firewalls acting as Active-Standby mode.
2. logically combine all 8 ports (4 from N5K-A and 4 from N5K-B) of Nexus into a single port-channel/vPC group ?

So as to create a logical single port-channel between Nexus and ASA. This port-channel will be L3 link between Nexus and ASA and i am planning to create multiple sub-interfaces on this port-channel (sub-interface IPs will be provided on the same).

Please find attached diagram for reference.

Thanks/Ashwin

1. No, you must use a separate port channel to each firewall.

And what about Nexus ? will all ports be under same port-channel ?

No.  You would have to have one port channel for the first ASA, and another port channel for the second ASA.

I think you are going to have to use a layer 2 port channel and an SVI to achieve what you would like - as you effectively need one layer 3 domain to span two port channels.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License