Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement the first apic(apic1) of the Cluster

rachmatadhie
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

currently i have an issue on my apic controller so i have to do replacement on that apic server with the new one.  it's the apic 1 or the first apic in the cluster and i have 3 active apic in the cluster. is there any issues about replacement this  apic1 controller? or how is the best practice to replace that apic?

thank you,

Adhie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gkumark
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adhie,

Replacing the APIC1 is the same procedure as replacing any other APIC in the cluster. Refer to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-apic/118918-technote-aci-00.html for the procedure. 

Just make sure that you configure the new replacement APIC with all the right parameters such as Fabric Name, POD ID, node ID, TEP Pool, Infra VLAN etc..

Note: Since this is the first APIC, it would ask for the admin password, make sure that you use the admin password that is being used for the current cluster login. Once all done, connect it to the leaf and commission the new APIC, it would join the cluster provided all parameters are configured correct.

-GK

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

gkumark
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adhie,

Replacing the APIC1 is the same procedure as replacing any other APIC in the cluster. Refer to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-apic/118918-technote-aci-00.html for the procedure. 

Just make sure that you configure the new replacement APIC with all the right parameters such as Fabric Name, POD ID, node ID, TEP Pool, Infra VLAN etc..

Note: Since this is the first APIC, it would ask for the admin password, make sure that you use the admin password that is being used for the current cluster login. Once all done, connect it to the leaf and commission the new APIC, it would join the cluster provided all parameters are configured correct.

-GK

Just want to give and update on the process of replacing APICs. The new APIC-SERVER-M4/L4 that only run 6.0 code has a different process. 
1. Decommission old APIC and power off

2. Boot up new M4/L4 server, the wizard only now ask you for APIC password and OOB IP, then it presents a URL https://x.x.x.x with the OOB interface to complete the bootstrap of the APIC. Only use this URL for new cluster bringup. 

3. if you are replacing an older APIC server, access APIC, cluster as seen by node and commission the APIC server that was decommissioned in step 1. Follow on to the next screen to complete the commission of the new APIC server

The process is like replacing a leaf or spine switch. Also if you want to install APIC 6.0 as a standby, the option is no longer at the startup wizard. You have to go to the APIC GUI controllers as seen by nodes, scroll down and standby controller to add one.

Hopes this helps someone, I do not see it documented on Cisco.com

NEELAY MA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi GK,

What will be the case when I want to replace a APIC of a different configuration like replacing a production APIC L2 cluster with L4 clusters??

As we know that L2 will be EOL thus might need to do a hardware refresh migration.

Thanks in advance.

Changning out different generation (L3 > L4, L2 > L4, M2 > L3 etc) of APIC with newer platform is the same process as replacing a failed controller.  

Robert

TAC provided me with this step-by-step guide when I had the same question.  Worked perfectly.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/whitepapers/cisco-apic-m1-m2-m3-migration-guide.pdf

NEELAY MA
Level 1
Level 1

Hey No worries, I got it.

In case anyone needs that, the live migration is supported and there will not be any impact on the data plane or the control plane traffic till we follow the Cisco's recommended process. Will keep you posted once I finish the activity.
Using Standby APIC to move APIC or Replace APIC - (unofficialaciguide.com)
Cheers!!

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License