cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What can we connect to Spine switches?

Steven Williams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems in the early versions of ACI Spines connected to leaf switches only, I am reading this is no longer the case. Can Spine switches connect out to the traditional network and basically take the place of border leafs? I am not quite understanding this article: https://www.mvankleij.nl/post/aci_topology_hardware/

10 Replies 10

Steven Williams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok so Spines connect to an IPN which is strictly for Multi-site ACI pod deployments. I have also read only OSPF is supported from the IPN switches across multi-sites. Not sure why only OSPF, seems novice...Also seems like Multicast is a big player in multi-site pods. I get that the role of the spine is route leaf to leaf traffic...but you would think the Spines were the entry and exit point of the traditional network and not border leafs. Just like back in the day 2ks would connect to 5k, 5ks connected to 7ks, 7ks connected to campus cores like 6500s. 

Spines can connect to Routers when talking about GOLF feature and will also connect to routers for the Inter-pod/inter-spine network for both Multi-Pod and Multi-site. Spines can also directly connect to another Site's spines in the case of Multisite.

OSPF is fairly simple to configure and in this case we do not need anything more complicated than that, so why go with something more complicated? The MP-BGP of the underlay is all configured for you. PIM is only required in the Multipod case, it is not required when configuring Multisite.

So can they connect to your traditional network and forgo border leafs? I feel like the answer is no, but kinda yes. I assume it will connect to your traditional network in the WAN agg layer for multi-site/multi-pod, but cannot connect to something like your campus core.