Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Noovi
Beginner

Difference between Legacy Nexus VxLAN and ACI VxLAN

Hi Guys,

i am preparing Cisco ACI and VxLAN in ACI.

I am having query for difference between Legacy Nexus VxLAN and ACI VxLAN? Can anyone give best answer?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Robert Burns
Cisco Employee

ACI VXLAN (aka iVXLAN) just makes use some of the reserved fields in the VXLAN headers to identify source groups (EPGs) and some other ACI-specific classifiers.  You can take a look at this CiscoLive presentation if you want to understand the header differences.  https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2019/pdf/BRKACI-3101.pdf
Robert

View solution in original post

RedNectar
Engager

Hi @Noovi ,

If you are asking from an academic point of view - just because you HAVE TO KNOW then I understand your question perfectly - and Robert's answer is a great place to go - particularly slide 20. I've pasted a copy of that slide below for your reference.  You could also check out this (now expired) RFC Draft 

BUT if you are asking the question because you are worried about any changes you might need to carry existing VXLAN traffic across ACI - then there is no need to worry. The iVXLAN encapsulation is for ACI only, existing VXLAN traffic that needs to be transported over ACI is trasported transparently and no changes need to be made on your part.

image.png

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

2 REPLIES 2
Robert Burns
Cisco Employee

ACI VXLAN (aka iVXLAN) just makes use some of the reserved fields in the VXLAN headers to identify source groups (EPGs) and some other ACI-specific classifiers.  You can take a look at this CiscoLive presentation if you want to understand the header differences.  https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2019/pdf/BRKACI-3101.pdf
Robert

RedNectar
Engager

Hi @Noovi ,

If you are asking from an academic point of view - just because you HAVE TO KNOW then I understand your question perfectly - and Robert's answer is a great place to go - particularly slide 20. I've pasted a copy of that slide below for your reference.  You could also check out this (now expired) RFC Draft 

BUT if you are asking the question because you are worried about any changes you might need to carry existing VXLAN traffic across ACI - then there is no need to worry. The iVXLAN encapsulation is for ACI only, existing VXLAN traffic that needs to be transported over ACI is trasported transparently and no changes need to be made on your part.

image.png

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

Content for Community-Ad