Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE One Arm Mode vs Routed Mode

helsayed78
Level 1
Level 1

Gents,

When is it required to use the One Arm Mode and one do I use the routed mode? Actually I am confused and would really like to know the pros and cons of each?

Regards,

Hesham                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ajayku2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hesham,

When you do not want to change the physical topology of your network then you usually go with ONE ARM mode.

Such as default gateway on server, IP addressing on servers. In this case client can access the server directly as well.

Its a flat network topology where your VIP and servers are in the same network ( VLAN ).

You use routed mode when you want to segregate the servers in seperate vlan and don't want to allow client to access it directly.

Client and VIP in same VLAN >>> ACE >>>>>> Server VLAN ( In this case we usually point the default gateway to ACE)

hope it helps.

regards,

Ajay Kumar

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ajayku2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hesham,

When you do not want to change the physical topology of your network then you usually go with ONE ARM mode.

Such as default gateway on server, IP addressing on servers. In this case client can access the server directly as well.

Its a flat network topology where your VIP and servers are in the same network ( VLAN ).

You use routed mode when you want to segregate the servers in seperate vlan and don't want to allow client to access it directly.

Client and VIP in same VLAN >>> ACE >>>>>> Server VLAN ( In this case we usually point the default gateway to ACE)

hope it helps.

regards,

Ajay Kumar

Hi Cesar,

The links you have sent are not opening? could you please check.

Regards,

Hesham

The links still don't open, however I have a question regaridng the one-arm mode.

Why  do I have to specify a nat IP from the same range although I can use the same VIP for Natting ?

Regards,

Hesham