cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE - Redundancy Config help

rmathiyalagan
Level 1
Level 1

We have two 6506 switches with ACE modules. I have configured the ACE modules with the

necessary configuration (converted from the existing CSS)..

As of now both the ACE modules have the same configuration.ie.

Same context

Same Management Vlan IP address (vlan 100 - routing vlan)

Same Vlan Ip addresses (vlan 200, 300, 400, 600 - Server vlans)..

Same Rserver, server farm, class map and Policy map setup.

ONly difference is the FT Vlan for which each module has a different ip address..

As soon as i make the FT Vlan active, the Ace modules detect the Failover setup and start

syncing the running and startup config..

After few mins, could see one of the modules as Active and the other one as Hot Standby..

MY actual problem is:-

The standby module doesnt show any vlan interfaces with IP address..Am i missing

something..If i do the forceful switchover, the standby becomes active, but since it

doesnt has any ip interfaces, it is not reachable..

Do we need to configure the vlan interfaces on the modules to be different(but same

subnet)..I though it functions like CSS where both the boxes has the exact replica

config..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Think of the alias command like HSRP. It works in a similar fashion. You can route either through the alias or the real ip address to each ACE. I would choose to route to the alias because when one ACE module fails, the alias address is inherited on the other ACE.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cfolkerts
Level 1
Level 1

The actual ip addressing is done on the primary ACE module. Your configuration will look similar to this below.

interface vlan 701

description BlahBlah

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

alias 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

peer ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

This configuration done on the primary will automatically populate the addressing on the secondary.

Regards

Thanks..Do we need to configure Alias for all the vlans or is it ok to be done only on the Routing vlan..

I should be routing the traffic from the other devices to the ACE through alias ip address right? Sorry..I am totally new with this box and the documentation doesnt help me..

Think of the alias command like HSRP. It works in a similar fashion. You can route either through the alias or the real ip address to each ACE. I would choose to route to the alias because when one ACE module fails, the alias address is inherited on the other ACE.

Thanks a lot..That really helped and i am back on my track in this project..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: