Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE vs CSS

Bryan Middleton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a customer who has an existing data centre that does basic server load-balancing using CSS11500's. They are now looking to implement another data centre to give them redundancy and the abaility to load-balance the traffic betweenthe sites. At the new site they will need similar load-balancing functionality to what they already have (apologies for lack of detail here - I have just been told its 'basic'). I am currently designing the network and would like to know how the CSS switches compare to the 6500 ACE module, what are the pro's and cons of each?

Any help would be really appreciated - I don't have any knowledge/experience of CSS/ACE aside from knowing that they can distribute traffic amongst servers :-(

Thanks in advance

Dangbry

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

huw.morgan
Level 1
Level 1

I think it's probably safe to say that the ACE does everything that the CSS does.

What you do find though is that, as the ACE is much more security-aware, you have to configure explicitly some things that would have been permitted by default by the CSS.

I think the CSS is end-of-life anyway.

View solution in original post

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CSS will soon be end of life.

ACE4710 is its replacement.

This is the same software as in the ACE module (inside a cat6k) but in a standalone box.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

huw.morgan
Level 1
Level 1

I think it's probably safe to say that the ACE does everything that the CSS does.

What you do find though is that, as the ACE is much more security-aware, you have to configure explicitly some things that would have been permitted by default by the CSS.

I think the CSS is end-of-life anyway.

Hi Huw,

Thanks for your info, much appreciated.

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CSS will soon be end of life.

ACE4710 is its replacement.

This is the same software as in the ACE module (inside a cat6k) but in a standalone box.

Gilles.

Hi Giles,

Thanks for confirming that for me, really appreciate it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: