cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add RAID 1 to WAE 574

ROCKY CHEUNG
Level 1
Level 1

I just received a brand new WAVE-574 for our branch office, and noticed that it was shipped with a single drive configuration.  I just bought an additional hard drive from Cisco to go into this WAVE-574 so the disks are configured in a RAID 1 for redandancy.   I have been looking for configuration and setup instructions, but without any luck so far.

Could you please let me know the setup procedures?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

4 Replies 4

fbergamo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Wide Area Virtualization Engine 574 Hardware Installation Guide - Installing Hardware Options for the WAVE-574

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wave/installation/574/guide/574op2.html#wp1036667

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rocky,

Here is the information to configure the RAID on WAVE 574.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/maint.html#wpxref86772

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1139597

Please also note the new hard disk driver you purchased from cisco for this WAVE 574 is 500GB Sata2 with aprt number DISK-SATA2-500GB= .

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hi Bhavin,

I could not open or broswe to the web page that you've provided.  It seems that was a Cisco partner link or I don't have access to it.  Is there another way that you can share that info?

Yes, I do have the DISK-SATA2-500GB= hard drive from Cisco.

Thanks!

Rocky

Hi Rocky,

The links I provided are config guide links and you only need appropriate CCO id to access them. I do not think these are partner only links.

Let me paste some of the details from the links provided by me and Fabio here:

Replacing a Hard Disk Drive

The WAVE appliance supports as many as two 3.5-inch (Large Form Factor) SATA hard drives.

When replacing hard drives to the WAVE appliance, observe the following general guidelines:

The system automatically sets all drive numbers.

If only one hard drive is used, install it in the bay with the lowest drive number.

Drives  must be the same capacity to provide the greatest storage space  efficiency when drives are grouped together into the same drive array.

Note All hard disk drives being used in the appliance must be identical.

Caution To  maintain proper system cooling, do not operate the appliance for more  than 10 minutes without either a hard disk drive or a filler panel  installed in each bay.

To replace a hard disk drive in a bay, follow these steps:

Step 1 Review the information in the "Safety Warnings and Cautions" section on page 2-2 and the "Safety Guidelines" section on page 2-3.

Step 2 Make sure that the chassis cover is in place and fully closed.

Step 3 Power down the device and and disconnect the power cord and all external cables.

Step 4 Slide the latch and then pull out the handle (see Figure 4-4).

Figure 4-4     Removing a Hard Disk Drive

Step 5 Pull the drive assembly from the bay.

Step 6 Wait  1 minute and then insert the new drive into the same slot by aligning  the replacement drive assembly with guide rails in the bay and sliding  the drive assembly into the bay until it stops. Make sure that the drive  is properly seated in the bay.

Step 7 Close the drive handle.

Step 8 Reboot the WAVE appliance.

Step 9 Check  the hard disk drive status LED after the system has booted to verify  that the hard disk drive is operating correctly. If the amber hard disk  drive status LED for a drive is lit continuously, that drive is faulty  and must be replaced. If the green hard disk drive activity LED is  flashing, the drive is being accessed.

Step 10 Wait 1 minute and then verify that the replaced disk drive is in the Rebuilding state by using the show disks details command in EXEC mode.

Note The  system automatically starts the rebuild operation when it detects the  removal and reinsertion of a drive that is part of the logical RAID  drive.

Step 11 Wait  until the rebuild operation is complete. A disk rebuild operation may  take several hours. You can check if the rebuild operation is complete  by using the show disk details command in EXEC  mode. The physical drive state will be Online and the RAID logical drive  state will be Okay after the rebuild operation is completed.

Step 12 Use the show disk tech command in EXEC mode to verify that the firmware and BIOS information is correct for both hard drives.

If you have multiple disk failures and your RAID-1 logical status is  Offline, you must recreate the RAID-1 array. For more information on  disk removal and replacement procedures, see the Cisco Wide Area Application Services Configuration Guide, Chapter 15, "Maintaining Your WAAS System."

Performing Disk Maintenance for RAID-1 Systems

WAAS supports hot-swap functionality for both failed disk replacement  and scheduled disk maintenance. When a disk fails, WAAS automatically  detects the disk failure, marks the disk as bad, and removes the disk  from the RAID-1 volume. To schedule disk maintenance, you must manually  shut down the disk.

You must wait for the disk to be completely shut down before you  physically remove the disk from the WAE. When the RAID removal process  is complete, WAAS generates a disk failure alarm and trap. In addition, a  syslog ERROR message is logged.

Note If  the removal event (such as, a disk failure or software shutdown) occurs  while the RAID array is in the rebuild process, the RAID removal  process may take up to 1 minute to complete. The duration of this  process depends on the size of the disk.

If the WAAS software removes a failed disk during the RAID rebuild  process, a RAID rebuild failure alarm is generated. If you  administratively shut down the disk during the RAID rebuild process, a  RAID rebuild abort alarm is generated instead.

When you install a replacement disk, the WAAS software detects the  replacement disk and performs compatibility checks on the disk,  initializes the disk by creating partitions, and adds the disk to the  software RAID to start the RAID rebuild process.

If the newly inserted disk has the same disk ID as a disk that was  previously marked bad in the same physical slot, then the disk will not  be mounted, and the post-replacement checks, initialization, and RAID  rebuilding will not occur.

A newly installed disk must be of the same type as the old disk and it must meet the following compatibility requirements:

If  the replacement disk is for disk00, disk02, or disk04 of a RAID pair,  the replacement disk must be the same size as the running disk in the  array.

If  the replacement disk is for disk01, disk03, or disk05 of a RAID pair,  then the replacement disk must have the same or greater RAID capacity as  the running disk in the array.

Compatibility checks, which are part of the hot-swap process, check for  capacity compatibility. Incompatibility generates an alarm and aborts  the hot-swap process.

Table 15-3 shows the drive-type compatibility for the WAE-612. All drives must be the same type.

Table 15-3     WAE-612 Drive-Type Compatibility Matrix

Drive Types
SAS1
SATA22

SAS

Ok

No

SATA2

No

Ok

1 Serial Attached SCSI

2 Serial Advanced Technology Attachment 2

To perform disk maintenance, follow these steps:

Step 1 Manually shut down the disk.

a. Enter the disk disk-name diskxx shutdown command in global configuration mode.

b. Wait  for the disk to be completely shut down before you physically remove  the disk from the WAE. When the RAID removal process is complete, WAAS  generates a disk failure alarm and trap. In addition, a syslog ERROR  message is logged.

Note We recommend that you disable the disk error-handling reload option, if enabled, because it is not necessary to power down the system to remove a disk.

Step 2 Insert  a replacement disk into the slot in the WAE. The replacement disk must  have a disk ID number that is different from the disk that it is  replacing.

Step 3 Reenable the disk by entering the no disk disk-name diskxx shutdown global configuration command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: