Views
Helpful
Replies

Application bandwidth requirement

samarjitdas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am facing one great problem at customer place. Customer wants bandwidth calculation for one particular application from user prespective. I did some analysis by looking input speed at user connected switchport and netflow analyiser but not sure whether I am in right track ?

Regards,

Samarjit Das

2 Replies 2

Don Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

For the type of requirement you mention NetFlow technology is the solution. Use any NetFlow anaysis tool that can help you analyze specific traffic by creating filters for that application\ and monitor them over a period of time. This way, you can find the bandwidth taken by that application (for both IN and OUT directions) currently and then predict the bandwidth required (do allow some space for future growth).

I believe most of todays flow analysis tools like ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer, Fluke Networks, etc can do this.

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Put a sniffer on the application user workstation interface (SPAN) and capture transactions over a gievn time period. This will provide the average BPS and tell you how much bandwidth the applicaiton is using.