Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACE 4710 delay

mohamed fayz
Level 1
Level 1

Hai,

Good Day.

I had configured cisco ACE 4710 in active standby mode ( 2 ace load balancer) in one ar mode, which is physically placed on a DMZ segment, behind firewall(Palo Alto ).

Now, i load balanced 2 EMS servers both from internally and externally using one arm mode. |When i try to access these servers from internally using ACE, its working fine. But when i am accessing this from externally, it is getting some delay, after it works. I had configured stickeness in ACE, since the servers running some additional critical appliactions.

Please help me if you have any idea about this!!

Regards,

Fayz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fayz,

I did give a try and it opened up without any problem. Normally accessing a server directly is faster than accessing it through LB since you have an extra HOP and it also depends if the connection is being forwarded or being proxied.

For me it worked fine, i mean i didn't get considerable delay and i tried twice.

Also, i see the original request is being redirected by server and client has to come again with URL before the final page loads.

GET / HTTP/1.1

Accept: application/x-ms-application, image/jpeg, application/xaml+xml, image/gif, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-xbap, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*

Accept-Language: en-US

User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3)

Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

Host: 78.100.95.13:8090

Connection: Keep-Alive

Cookie: ASP.NET_SessionId=y5dfk5ehyonunv55z0qkga55; sldetect=Y

HTTP/1.1 302 Found

Cache-Control: private

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5

X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727

X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:37:12 GMT

Content-Length: 131

GET /SignIn.aspx HTTP/1.1

Accept: application/x-ms-application, image/jpeg, application/xaml+xml, image/gif, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-xbap, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*

User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3)

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Content-Encoding: gzip

Vary: Accept-Encoding

Content-Length: 12331

Also, i still don't think redirection from server should cause noticeable delays. If the delays are considerable then we need to check if ACE is causing the delay or not and capture on ACE itself can show the time difference between the ingress and egress packets.

Also, ensure that you are not proxying the connection if you don't need it.

Regards,

Kanwal

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mohamed fayz
Level 1
Level 1

The server public IP is  http:78.100.95.13:8090. Please have a try also

Hai,

Good Day.

I had configured cisco ACE 4710 in active standby mode ( 2 ace load balancer) in one ar mode, which is physically placed on a DMZ segment, behind firewall(Palo Alto ).

Now, i load balanced 2 EMS servers both from internally and externally using one arm mode. |When i try to access these servers from internally using ACE, its working fine. But when i am accessing this from externally, it is getting some delay, after it works. I had configured stickeness in ACE, since the servers running some additional critical appliactions.

Please help me if you have any idea about this!!

Regards,

Fayz

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fayz,

I did give a try and it opened up without any problem. Normally accessing a server directly is faster than accessing it through LB since you have an extra HOP and it also depends if the connection is being forwarded or being proxied.

For me it worked fine, i mean i didn't get considerable delay and i tried twice.

Also, i see the original request is being redirected by server and client has to come again with URL before the final page loads.

GET / HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 302 Found

Content-Length: 131

GET /SignIn.aspx HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Content-Encoding: gzip

Vary: Accept-Encoding

Content-Length: 12331

Also, i still don't think redirection from server should cause noticeable delays. If the delays are considerable then we need to check if ACE is causing the delay or not and capture on ACE itself can show the time difference between the ingress and egress packets.

Also, ensure that you are not proxying the connection if you don't need it.

Regards,

Kanwal

Dear Kanwal,

As you told, server is redirecting the URL , but once a new pc is trying to conenct the server via the abouve url, it is getting delayed initially , after first successfull attempt, then it is working fine without any delay. if we are trying to connect again from the same pc using the url , page is getting faster. Can you please advise???

also, how can we check from the ace itself, if it is causing the delay????

Hi Mohamed,

Please share your configuration and if possible take simultaneous captures on both sides of the ACE showing the delay

---------------------
Cesar R
ANS Team

--------------------- Cesar R ANS Team

Hi Mohammed,

If you look at the content length. For the first time it has to get total Content-Length: 12331"

If you look at the packet count it consumes approx 130 packets to finish this transaction. If you look at the rate of transaction it is .021 ms. So I would say that it is not ACE which is causing delay but it is because of size of the content.

The same delay does not occur for the second time because the content is served from cache. Hope that clarifies your concern.

Regards,

Ajay Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: