Views
Helpful
Replies

content rotuing with switching

aiyappa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What is the difference between content routing and content switching. Are they required to be integrated together or are they seperate solutions. With content routing we use the DFP,BCP, WCCP and other protocols to receive information. Are these protocols used with the Content switching as well or does this act in a different way.

Thank you

Regards

Sanjith

4 Replies 4

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there is an exact definition of these terms.

What you refered to [wccp] is more like caching using WCCP, cache engines, ...

But in the content world we have content switches or loadbalancers to switch/route based on content. These are CSS,CSM, Local Directors, ...

What are you looking for exactly ?

Thanks,

Gilles.

Hi

I came across these products which are the 4400 series describing itself as the Content routers. In one of the presentations from Cisco I see the deployment of both the Content router as well as the content switch in a single data center setup. The packet goes to the content router and then to the content switch. But I am not sure why this is required. On reading the description of the content routers I see they do the exact same thing. To put it in a nutshell when would you deploy a Cisco 4400 Series Content Routers and when a CSS11500.

The following URL is about this contenet router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps777/products_white_paper09186a0080091d9c.shtml

Thank you

Regards

Sanjith

first, let me say that we do not sell the content router 4400 anymore.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps777/prod_bulletin09186a0080091aed.html

no more software support and soon no more hardware support.

Then, the content router was part of the caching solution. [CDN].

You would use it with CE and servers [behind or not a CSS].

The Content Router would receive all the HTTP request and redirect them to the most appropriate data center.

A CE7xxx can now do this with many more other functions - except loadbalancing.

For loadbalancing you need a CSS or CSM.

You can forget about the 4400.

Regards,

Gilles.

Thank you for your support.

Appreciate the reply

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card