Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM and show module conn detail output

fabio.marino
Level 1
Level 1

•Hi all,

•I am studying the topic: ´Configuring the Source NAT for Server-Originated Connections to the VIP ´.

•In Cisco Documentation I got the following output from the command

•show module csm 1 conn detail

•   prot vlan source               destination           state      

•----------------------------------------------------------------------

•In TCP 220 10.20.220.10:32858   10.20.221.100:23     ESTAB      

•Out TCP 220 10.20.220.20:23       10.20.220.99:8193     ESTAB      

•   vs = FROM-SERVERS, ftp = No, csrp = False

•Following futher details:

• -10.20.220.10 rserver A

• -10.20.220.100 vip

• -10.20.220.20 rserver B

• -10.20.220.99 nat pool

• -220 vlan server

•The output means:

•The rserver A (10.20.220.10) wants to communicate with the rserver B (10.20.220.20). In order to have this communication/connection the process is for me

•not clear. Could you please cvomment the line IN and OUT of the above command´s output?

•Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Borys Berlog
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fabio

fabio.marino wrote:

Could you please cvomment the line IN and OUT of the above command´s output?

•Thanks.

Basically you described a meaning of these 2 lines above.

Let's  imagine that we have one "big" session from client to real server.  However in the middle we have loadbalancer which sees everything a bit  differently - and this output is how it sees life:

IN - means -  incoming session from loadbalancer point of view, part of "big" session  which lies between Client and Loadbalancer. in this case vlan - is a  vlan number from what this session came from, source - is IP address of  client initiated this session, and destination is IP address to which  your client initiated this session - usually it's a VIP address which  belongs to Loadbalancer itself (as client sees this service behind one  VIP). Port numbers are the same as in reall TCP session from client

OUT - this is part of "big" session which lies between  Loadbalancer and Real server. Here Source and Destination IP has to be  read in opposite way - in field source you have IP address of real server  to which connection went to and in field Destination - IP address which  was used after Loadbalancer as a source IP. If you don't have NAT - you  will see here the same IP address as you saw in field "source" in "IN"  line.

The same situation is with ports , as you have PAT - source  ports are not preserved , and you see a different port in Destination  field in OUT line then in source field in IN line.

Hope I clarified situation a bit. Feel free to ask additional question if I missed something.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Borys Berlog
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fabio

fabio.marino wrote:

Could you please cvomment the line IN and OUT of the above command´s output?

•Thanks.

Basically you described a meaning of these 2 lines above.

Let's  imagine that we have one "big" session from client to real server.  However in the middle we have loadbalancer which sees everything a bit  differently - and this output is how it sees life:

IN - means -  incoming session from loadbalancer point of view, part of "big" session  which lies between Client and Loadbalancer. in this case vlan - is a  vlan number from what this session came from, source - is IP address of  client initiated this session, and destination is IP address to which  your client initiated this session - usually it's a VIP address which  belongs to Loadbalancer itself (as client sees this service behind one  VIP). Port numbers are the same as in reall TCP session from client

OUT - this is part of "big" session which lies between  Loadbalancer and Real server. Here Source and Destination IP has to be  read in opposite way - in field source you have IP address of real server  to which connection went to and in field Destination - IP address which  was used after Loadbalancer as a source IP. If you don't have NAT - you  will see here the same IP address as you saw in field "source" in "IN"  line.

The same situation is with ports , as you have PAT - source  ports are not preserved , and you see a different port in Destination  field in OUT line then in source field in IN line.

Hope I clarified situation a bit. Feel free to ask additional question if I missed something.