cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does CSS 11500 support stickiness based on source IP and source port?

fly
Level 2
Level 2

i don't know why cu need this feature, he want stickiness based on source ip and source port.

Does CSS 11500 support stickiness based on source IP and source port?

or is there any other method to support stickness based on source ip and sourceport?

thank you!

Jun Li

12 Replies 12

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the requirement or i should say what is it that customer wants to achieve with such an option?

You don't have such option. At L4, you can use stickiness based on src ip and destination port.

Normally, as long as the src ip and src port remains same, the connection is stuck to the same server. When the src port changes the traffic is load balanced.

Regards,

Kanwal

HI,Kanwal,

i don't know what is that custome wants to achieve, He just ask me can CSS support stickiness based on source ip and source port.

I did a search ,find CSS doesn't support this feature,   but i am not sure.

"

Normally, as long as the src ip and src port remains same, the connection is stuck to the same server. When the src port changes the traffic is load balanced.

"

you said when the src port changes, although stickiness based on only src ip address, CSS can loadbalance to different server, is that right?

thank you!

Jun li

Hi,

There is no option. At L3 you can have src IP based sticky and if that is configured as long as the src IP remains same, the connection would stuck to the same server.

At L4 level you have only option of src ip-dst port based sticky option. And then you have advance balance methods details of which can be found at the link given by Jorge.

Let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Kanwal

Jorge Bejarano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jorge, 

I didn't find CSS support stickiness based on src port from this page.

is there any other method can to this?

thank you!

jun li

Hi Jun,

Src-port stickiness is not supported currently to my knowledge.

Jorge

i know,  but customer just want stickiness based on src-port,     i have no idea. customer ask me to replace css with other vendor product, such as F5, may be using IRULE can do this !

Hi Jun,

I do not know the requirements of your customer but those are the options which we currently have with the CSS.

You may discuss with them and provide them with these options then they can analyze if these other options work for them.

Do not hesitate to let us know your feedback then other customers can have these forums as reference as well

Jorge

currently is not possible stick based on src ip. you can use only src IP, or srcIP+dstPort:

advanced-balance sticky-srcip-dstport - Enables the content rule to stick a

client to a server based on both the client IP address and the server destination

port number, also known as Layer 4 stickiness. You can use this option with

Layer 4 or Layer 5 content rules.

--

martin

For the sticky-srcip-dstport you say the port is based on the servers destination port.  Does this mean its based on the destination port from the response of the server which would make it the source port from the client?

Shday,

"advanced-balance sticky-srcip-dstport - Enable the content rule to stick a client to a server based on both the client IP address and the server destination port number, also known as Layer 4 stickiness. You can use this option with Layer 4 or Layer 5 content rules."

Here you have the config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11000series/v5.00/configuration/advanced/guide/Sticky.html

Please mark, if this answers your question.

Jorge

Ok so once the sticky entry is added to the l4 sticky table if you dont configure a sticky-inact-timeout how long does the sticky entry stay in the table?  What I'm seeing in my trace is that the connection stay stuck for the duration of the cp session, but when a new connection come into the content rule the connections are being load balanced even though I just had a connection so i should have a sticky entry.  The connections come in within 20 seconds of each other from the same source and destination port.  When this happens the client is required to log back in.  The client isnt loging out or its just the application initiating a new request with a new tcp session. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: