Views
Helpful
Replies

Drain connections for rserver reboot

rnolen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

How can I drain connections from an rserver so that I can gracefully shut it down?

If I take an rserver out of service, does it allow existing connections to complete, but no longer allow new ones?  It doesn't just cut them, correct?

I took an rserver out of service, and saw the connection counts drop slowly, so that's what I'm guessing.  How can I send drain messages?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

venkatkr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rob,

By default ace cleans up the connection gracefully.  When you take a rserver out of service(OOS) by issuing "no inservice" command, the following happens.

• ACE tear down existing non-TCP connections to the server
•It allow existing TCP connections to complete
•It Disallow any new connections to the server

So this is the best and only way you can gracefully shut down a rserver. However as you noticed, the connections were draining slowly which is directly related to how long the connection lives normally. If its a webserver and someone is browsing, then the connection will be kept alive on the rserver which is taken OOS

So usually, when someone does a schedule maintenance, the rserver is taken OOS ahead of time so that all connections are depleted by the time the window starts.

Keep in mind that this is not applicable to SSL connections. ACE resets all Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connections to a particular real server when you enter the no inservice command for that server.

Also if dont care about the connection after  a certain point then you can always kill then forcefully by issuing

clear conn rserver serverfarm

Hope this helps. If so please mark the question answered and rate it accordingly.

Regards

VK

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

venkatkr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rob,

By default ace cleans up the connection gracefully.  When you take a rserver out of service(OOS) by issuing "no inservice" command, the following happens.

• ACE tear down existing non-TCP connections to the server
•It allow existing TCP connections to complete
•It Disallow any new connections to the server

So this is the best and only way you can gracefully shut down a rserver. However as you noticed, the connections were draining slowly which is directly related to how long the connection lives normally. If its a webserver and someone is browsing, then the connection will be kept alive on the rserver which is taken OOS

So usually, when someone does a schedule maintenance, the rserver is taken OOS ahead of time so that all connections are depleted by the time the window starts.

Keep in mind that this is not applicable to SSL connections. ACE resets all Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connections to a particular real server when you enter the no inservice command for that server.

Also if dont care about the connection after  a certain point then you can always kill then forcefully by issuing

clear conn rserver serverfarm

Hope this helps. If so please mark the question answered and rate it accordingly.

Regards

VK