cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to move a waas appliance from one location to another location ?

Hi to all, i need to relocate a waas appliance from one branch office belonging to one location to another branch office in another location, but i want to retain the acceleration policy configured on the specified appliance. How can i do this ?

i remember something about the possibility to put the appliance in a suspend state in Central manager, and then change ip address and hostname both in the central manager and on the appliance. I tried to find something in the documentation but i was not able to find anything.

Any suggestion ?

help very much appreciated.

max

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ktunugun
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Massimiliano,

You can achieve this by configuring the device as inactive and replaceable from CM. On the WAE to be moved do "no cms enable" and make the relevant changes to the IP Address or Hostname. After making the change do the "cms recover identity default" on the WAE and "cms enable". The device will get registered with the CM and will retain the same Policy configurations what was there before move.

However make sure that both IP Address and Hostname cannot be changed at the same time beacuse when you do the "cms recover identity default" the CM will match if there is any WAE in the replaceable state using with the IP Address or hostname. If either of them doesn't match they the recovery would fail and you will have to go for a fresh registration in which case you cannot retains the same policies.

So you can achieve this one by one. First make the change to the IP Address do the recovery and then follow the same process for the change to hostname. This way the policies gets retained.

Regards

Kiran

View solution in original post

Hi,

Ideally you should be able to simply change the IP Address and preserve the entry in CM without following the above recovery procedure and when the re-sync happens between the WAE and the CM the new IP Address should automatically be updated. Make sure the IP Address and Hostname are not changed at the same time.

If there are issues with the above then you can recover the registration information by doing the following:

1) mark on the CM the device as inactive and replaceable

2) move the device from one location to the other location

3) "no cms enable" on the wae and change the IP address

4) "cms recovery identity default". At this point, the WAE sends information to CM and CM tries to find a WAE which is replaceable using IP address or hostname. If one them matches then it activates the replaceable device.

5) "cms enable" on WAE will bring up the CMS service up.

6) After verifiying that the WAE is shown online on CM and the policies have been retained, make the change on the hostname on the wae and wait the new configuration will reflect on CM

from which version is this feature supported ? This is a standard feature and it is supported across versions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v431/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1105458

Regards

Kiran

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ktunugun
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Massimiliano,

You can achieve this by configuring the device as inactive and replaceable from CM. On the WAE to be moved do "no cms enable" and make the relevant changes to the IP Address or Hostname. After making the change do the "cms recover identity default" on the WAE and "cms enable". The device will get registered with the CM and will retain the same Policy configurations what was there before move.

However make sure that both IP Address and Hostname cannot be changed at the same time beacuse when you do the "cms recover identity default" the CM will match if there is any WAE in the replaceable state using with the IP Address or hostname. If either of them doesn't match they the recovery would fail and you will have to go for a fresh registration in which case you cannot retains the same policies.

So you can achieve this one by one. First make the change to the IP Address do the recovery and then follow the same process for the change to hostname. This way the policies gets retained.

Regards

Kiran

Once you make the changes to the IP Address and perform the recovery and the device is back online, you can simply change the hostname on the device and the change gets reflected on the CM. No need to follow the recovery for hostname change.

Regards

Kiran.

Thanks for the tips, but i need some more clarification:

On the CM i don't need to change anything ? only to put the device as inactive and replaceable ?

the steps should be this :

4) "cms enable" and "cms recovery identity default"

5) wait for the registration on CM

6) make the change on the hostname on the wae and wait the new configuration will reflect on CM

are the steps correct ?

from which version is this feature supported ?

do you have a link on documentation to read a little bit more about this procedure ?

many many many thanks for your help

Hi,

Ideally you should be able to simply change the IP Address and preserve the entry in CM without following the above recovery procedure and when the re-sync happens between the WAE and the CM the new IP Address should automatically be updated. Make sure the IP Address and Hostname are not changed at the same time.

If there are issues with the above then you can recover the registration information by doing the following:

4) "cms recovery identity default". At this point, the WAE sends information to CM and CM tries to find a WAE which is replaceable using IP address or hostname. If one them matches then it activates the replaceable device.

5) "cms enable" on WAE will bring up the CMS service up.

6) After verifiying that the WAE is shown online on CM and the policies have been retained, make the change on the hostname on the wae and wait the new configuration will reflect on CM

from which version is this feature supported ? This is a standard feature and it is supported across versions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v431/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1105458

Regards

Kiran

perfect Kiran, you saved my life...

many thanks for your help

regards

max

How does one mark a device on the CM as inactive and replaceable?  Is it through the GUI?

Hi,

You can do this by Login to CM, Manage Devices, Activation and then

uncheck active, You will then see replaceable option to check. Thanks.

Ahsan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: