Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router in DC

Hi all, 

I would like to here a suggestions about a Router that we have to buy it for our migration in new DC. We are Cloud company offering Cloud services on different platforms ( Openstack, VMWare, Hyper-V etc ) and we migrate the whole DC ( 10 x 10 racks ) in different DC, but this time we would like to have control over the AS and public IP address that we have ( 6/24 subnets ), and possibility of geolocations. I'm guessing that BGP and possibility of re-routing is going by default. For now all this was managed by the ISP and we like to take all that stuff in our control. Managing the Public IPs and AS and BGP and everything that ISP was doing for us. 

I was looking for 5000 series and 4000 series. The problem i have i never know what is the best and do we need the best. Also when you take in consideration about prices and other stuff, I'm getting lost. 

So for me I would go with 5000 series, but do we really need this ? Can we go with 4000 too ?

Any hints or suggestions ?

Thanks in advanced

Ivan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I wouldn't recommend either of the two series you are looking at for your ISP edge.  I would recommend an ASR 1001-X.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/models-comparison.html

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Two questions:

* Are you going to have a "full" BGP routing feed?

* What is the sum of all the Internet connections that you want active at once?  50Mb/s?  500Mb/s?  5Gb/s?

Also, how to you plumb your internal networks for customers?  VLANs or  VXLANs?

1. Because we like to migrate and take control of the AS number ( all the public IPs ) and also to use it with other ISP ( but the AS to be on our control ) and if we have to re-route the traffic for DDoS attacks, im going to say that we should have the option of full too. ( beside the partial and default )

2. 1-2 Gb/s is now in the current, but we are growing fast so 1-2 Gb/s is fine with possibility to grow. 

I'm going to say VLANs but i love the idea of having VXLANs. :) And for start im going to go with VLANs that definitely. All that public ( from the inside ) that need to go out will be NATed. 

Some basic scenario will be:

Cloud infra ( Openstack, VMWare, Hyper-V ) ----- Public Switch ---- Router with (AS,BGP,NAT etc. )

I wouldn't recommend either of the two series you are looking at for your ISP edge.  I would recommend an ASR 1001-X.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/models-comparison.html

Well we will go with 4331 Router. What is your opinion on this. 

Ivan

Completely the wrong decision based on the stated requirements.

The 4331 shapes its output to a maximum of 100Mb/s (when I say "output" this is the some of all egress traffic).  You can buy a 300Mb/s performance upgrade licence to make this 300Mb/s.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

However you said you currently do 1 to 2 Gb/s of traffic.

So your Internet performance is about to drop substantially.

Well yes i forgot to mention that I was miss informed about the speed ... the link to the provider will be 100 - 500 Mb/s and the LAN link should go to 1-2Gb/s. 

It is still the wrong router.

A 500Mb/s circuit can generate 1Gb/s of traffic (500Mb/s in both directions).  The 4331 will substantially throttle the circuit.

Well we are satisfied with 100Mb/s for now ... and in the near future we are going to buy another Router for fail over. So we may going to need some 200 till 300 Mb/s for the migration and if we grow fast as we are than the next one will be with 500Mb/s -1 Gb/s, the next model.  

Ok, just make sure you buy the performance licence immediately.

A 100Mb/s circuit can generate 100Mb/s in both directions, so an aggregate of 200Mb/s.  So the base licence will substantially limit the performance on a 100Mb/s circuit.

Ye i have that in considerations...we will go with the base licence and see how things will go.

Also there is a new rule that we have to be registered as a Company in order to buy Cisco equipment from somewhere ? 

No, you just need to buy it from an authorised Cisco reseller or Partner.  now that partner may choose to put restrictions on who it sells to, but that is not a Cisco restriction.

You can use the Cisco Partner Locator to find someone near you to buy kit from.

https://locatr.cloudapps.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: