cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS NOOB

Dave Saunders
Level 1
Level 1

I'm replacing my older 3825's that use a 100 meg Ethernet Circuit between sites that encrypt all of the traffic. I’m upgrading to the 3900 series and we may add WAAS into the mix. I have CPU issues now with the 3825 and encryption as my traffic is increasing.

Question 1. Will the waas modules work with the encryption?

Question 2. What modules should I use? The web site confused me a little on the compatibility of the modules.

Question 3.  Does the waas make a big difference in performance?

Thanks

Dave

3 Replies 3

asharmav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dave,

Question 1. Will the waas modules work with the encryption?

Ans : Yes the modules will work even with encryption, but however the optimization gain is only due to TFO only. You will not be able to levrage DRE and LZ. However you can consider keeping the Waas modules out of the encryption tunnel if possible so that you can get full optimization of TFO+DRE+LZ and levrage the sepcific application optimizers.

Question 2. What modules should I use? The web site confused me a little on the compatibility of the modules.

Ans - Since you are upgrading to ISR G2, you can go with SM-RE-700 and 900 based on your requirement.

Question 3.  Does the waas make a big difference in performance?

Ans - CPU usage for wccp redirection should be minimal. However since these are new platforms it should be able to take it. You can always do a quick setup and test this out to confirm this.

Regards

Abijith

Thanks Abijith! One more question, how does the NME-WAE-502-K9 WAAS module fit into the mix? Are both the SM-RE-700 and NME-WAE-502-K9 needed? Thanks again for your insight!

Hi Dave,

SRE-700/900 is a service engine which will replace the old NME-502/512 modules, with the ISR G2 we have switched over from old NME to SRE modules. However the Old NME continue to work with the new ISR G2 , but you need a adapter.

Since both can have waas software, you can have either one of them and you dont need them both . Suggest you to go with the SRE models, as they are the latest with higher configuration than the NME.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps9750/data_sheet_c78-605215.html

More details can be found above.

Regards

Abijith

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card