cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAE and WAVE

lieuyong10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, just wonder what is the difference between wide area application engine (WAE) and wide area virtualization engine (WAVE)? I read the data sheet for WAE and WAVE, both stating they provide :

• Improve employee productivity by enhancing the user experience for important business applications delivered over the WAN

• Reduce the cost of branch-office operations by centralizing IT resources in the data center and lowering the cost of WAN bandwidth

• Increase IT agility by reducing the time and resources required to deliver new IT services to the branch office

• Simplify branch-office data protection for regulatory compliance purposes

Really appreciate if anyone can explain to me about it.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Felix Arrieta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lieu,

The are some key differences.. for example:

-WAVE 574 and WAE 674 support virtual blades and WAE 512 and WAE 612 don't

-WAE 674 can support 8 inline ports ( using 2 4-port inline cards) and WAE 612 supports only 4ports.

-WAVE 574 and WAE 674 has better hard drive redundancy..etc

if you are working on a project that requires detailed info I suggest to contact your Cisco Account Manager or Cisco Partner  as it is critical to choose the right device depending on your topology, applications, number of users..etc

cheers!

View solution in original post

So you need one device in your network doing the Central Manager role only (or two for redundency) and all the rest doing optimisation only. Because this ends up being lots of boxes, WAAS allows the different sorts of "form factors"

• appliances,
  • on SRE or Network Modules,
  • WAAS Express ,
  • vWAAS
  • etc. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Felix Arrieta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lieu,

The are some key differences.. for example:

-WAVE 574 and WAE 674 support virtual blades and WAE 512 and WAE 612 don't

-WAE 674 can support 8 inline ports ( using 2 4-port inline cards) and WAE 612 supports only 4ports.

-WAVE 574 and WAE 674 has better hard drive redundancy..etc

if you are working on a project that requires detailed info I suggest to contact your Cisco Account Manager or Cisco Partner  as it is critical to choose the right device depending on your topology, applications, number of users..etc

cheers!

Hi Felix, thanks a lot for your explanation.

Just to clarify if I was to use WAAS Central Manager to manage and monitor all WAAS nodes in WAN, is it I must install WAAS Central Manager in WAVE or WAE that support virtual blade ?
Or can WAAS Central Manager be installed in other devices besides WAVE and WAE.

Thanks

You must run Central Manager on a WAAS Appliance (i.e. not on a Service Module in a Router). The WAAS appliance Model 294 supports 250 managed WAAS devices, which is enough for most small / medium networks.

The Model 294 can run in either Accelerator Mode or Central Manager Mode but not both at the same time. So you need a box dedicated to Central Manager on your network.

The Central Manager will manage all other WAAS instances (appliances, WAAS Express , vWAAS etc) in the network. 

Hi John, thanks a lot.

For Cisco WAVE 8541 with central manager, how many managed WAAS devices does it support?

Thanks.

A WAVE 8541 will support 150000 TCP connections. You will need a 294, 594 or 694 as well to handle the Central Manager role. 294 is 250 managed WAAS devices, 594 is 1000 managed WAAS devices, 684 is 2000 managed WAAS devices. See the "Cisco WAAS 5.0 Sizing Guidelines" or ask your Account Manager.

Hi John, thanks a lot.

By the way, is it possible for me to install Central Manager on 2 WAVE 8541 (1 for redundancy), and use the WAVE 8541 for WAN optimization and handle role of Central Manager ? Or I must install Central Manager in either 294, 594, or 694 and run Central Manager there to manage the WAAS devices?

A WAAS aaplinace can run in either Accelerator Mode or Central Manager Mode but not both at the same time. Look carefully at the Sizing Guidelines - especially the last few rows of Tables One and Two.

So you need one device in your network doing the Central Manager role only (or two for redundency) and all the rest doing optimisation only. Because this ends up being lots of boxes, WAAS allows the different sorts of "form factors"

• appliances,
  • on SRE or Network Modules,
  • WAAS Express ,
  • vWAAS
  • etc. 

Thanks a lot John.

One more question...is there any service module for Cisco ASR 1000 series for WAAS? Because for Cisco ISR G2 routers, there is Cisco SRE 700, 900, and 910, which can be used to install Cisco WAAS software. But I can't found any service module for Cisco ASR 1000 series.

This is going beyond my experience I am afraid. Before ISR G2 routers the equivalent of SRE Modules were called "dedicated blades" or "network modules" or even "embedded services processor", I think, some of which supported WAAS. Hopefully someone else with more experience can help you.

The link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9750/index.html seems to show three Network Modules (NME 502, 522 and 302) which work with some pre-ISR G2 routers. Good luck and check carefully!

Thanks John...I tried to read the link you gave, but it didn't show whether the 3 Network Modules (NME 502, 522 and 302) support Cisco ASR 1000 series routers...

Hope someone can tell me what module should I used to enable Cisco WAAS on Cisco ASR 1000 series routers ><
Or I must use Cisco WAE for WAAS services?

Hi,

NME's and SRE's will not work in ASR1000.

If I'm informed correctly; use a separate WAVE device alongside the ASR to do WAAS services.

Regards,
Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: