cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP settings revisited

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

I find RDP sessions work wonderfully well, to a point.  The point I have is you create a .rdp file with the screen size set to max.  I personally run 2 monitors and am preparing to order a new card to allow me to run 4 (recycling a couple of older monitors of lower resolution than my current ones).  Since they are not all idnetical and since you create it based on Monitor 1 (1920x1200) and Monitor 2 is 1920x1080 (this is "HD" resolution, and my 2 other monitors will be lower resolution), I get scroll bars when I move it to another screen.

My primary screen is a high end "UltraSharp" Dell that still costs several hundred $ more than the new monitors cost and looks 5x better too so I have no intention to change it to a secondary monitor.  The kicker is I almost never want to run RDP full screen.  I have dozens upon dozens of .rdp files to other customer systems and they're all almost universally set to 1280x1024, a great resolution that allows me to stack and move around RDP sessions without having to resize them and in fact the lowest resolution of the other 2 monitors is exactly 1280x1024 so if I do want a "full screen" RDP session I can move on to that one and get it, but what I'm after is this:

1) A global option per Partner Portal to allows us to set an initial resolution for .rdp sessions;

2) An option in each device's Connection tab that when RDP is selected that we can choose from the default resolutions RDP offers.

4 Replies 4

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for this feedback. Interestingly, we had option #2 implemented before we released the RDP feature, but it got cut before release because it 'complicated the interface'. Marcos can take notes here and prioritize adding this functionality back, or as an alternative, implementing at least your option #1.

-mike

Brook Powers
Level 1
Level 1

There are lots of those kinds of tools, but the TBA would remove the need for them. That's the entire point of the TBA, removing the need for disparate tools to monitor, update, upgrade, and access customer networks.

Engineering did indeed incorporate all these settings in the UI, but I requested that they be removed. There were too many knobs, and it looked complicated. We will look into bringing them back, maybe starting with resolution.

Thanks,

Marcos