cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA3102, no pb. to Landline, BIG ECHO on calls to Cellphone!!

FredCheung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I live in Vancouver Canada and just bought the SPA3102. It is the VOIP part, I haven't even hook up the PSTN. The ATA works fine when calling to/from landline. However, no matter how I treat the Echo settings or related settings, I have big and obvious echo if the recepient is a cellphone. I have attached my configuration. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I would very much like to keep this ATA but if the echo continues like this, I am losing confident in Cisco/Linksys.

Thank you very much.

2 Replies 2

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

Checklist below for you

--

1. Make sure you disable "Silence Suppression" in your line configuration and you have enough bandwidth for uplink and downlink of ~100Kbps. You can set "Network Jitter Level" to high and disable echo canceller (optional)

2. Try to lower down the values for PSTN gain. SPA To PSTN Gain and PSTN to SPA gain should be lowered. These values can be set anywhere from -15 (quietest) to 12 (loudest). To give an approximate idea of how loud the different gain values affect volume, -12 is half as loud as -6, -6 is about half as loud as zero, 6 is about twice as loud as zero, and 12 is about twice as loud as 6. The PSTN Gain might just be too high for the adapter to compensate.

3. You should also ensure that your telephone cables and plugs are secure. A loose connection can cause some echo.

4. Calls to cell phones (cell networks) seem to have a longer latency (time delay), thus more echo, than calls to a wireline PSTN number. In addition, some cell phone speaker phones will also create echo; so ask your caller to not use the speakerphone if possible.

5. To help in isolating the problem, try using a different corded phone plugged directly into the device.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have tried everything you have suggested and the echo is even worse.

I have done some research on the internet and many people have similar problems of Heavy Echo involving cellphones, that Obi110 or even Grandstream do not have this echo problems!

I cannot use them because my Belkin N750 has a voltage leakage that would cause loud humming on Obi110.