Views
Helpful
Replies

Muting/Unmuting IP Phone/CSF Device/Cisco Jabber Client Application

nasiramerw
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

I use Cisco TSP via TAPI to monitor Cisco IP Phones and CSF devices for 3rd party call control.

I have a requirement to provide a mechanism to mute/unmute the phone, CSF device/Cisco Jabber desktop client application.

I see Cisco TSP provides 'pass-through' mechanism for sending XML to the phone, via phoneDevSpecific and CCiscoPhoneDevSpecificDataPassThrough to mute/unmute the IP Phone. This works fine for IP Phone but does not work for CSF device. I am using CSF device in Cisco Jabber client desktop application as a soft phone.

I have the following questions and need some help if it can be achievable:

Question-1: Is it possible to mute/unmute CSF device via 'pass-through' mechanism?

Questions-2: If it is not possible to mute/unmute CSF device via 'pass-through' mechanism then is there any other API to achieve the same?

Question-3: Is there any API to mute/unmute Cisco Jabber Client application remotely?

Question-4: I see Cisco Jabber SDK for Web that comes up with cwic.js which runs in a browser. This API appears to provide mute/unmute desk phone and softphone feature but I guess it requires end user authentication to make it work and is specific to the Web browser, right?

Many thanks !!! highly appreciated

1 Reply 1

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In general, remotely controlling mute/unmute is not supported in any scenario unfortunately.  As you mention, with physical phones you can implement a 'jab the mute' button keypress via IPPS, however you can't determine whether mute is on/off beforehand so that can be nondeterministic and less-than-useful.
AFAIK, the mute/unmute control for the Jabber SDK is only applicable in 1st-party/softphone mode...in 3rd-party/deskphone control mode it uses CTI under-the-hood to affect call control, and is subject to the same limitation on mute capability as TAPI/JTAPI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: