cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvn65598 - Write Mem command and ASDM load fails with "flash device is in use by another task"

Joe C
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure why this problem is taking Cisco so long to get a fix.  We've taken 3 firewall outages related to this bug and the problem description does not include additional details that could be very important.  In each outage the ASA "reload" command hung in shutting down the disk process.  As a result the only way to get the ASA to reboot was to issue a "reload quick" command.  Second, even though our ASA config was backed up to an external server, we LOST ALL CERTIFICATES as well as the SSH key after the reboot.  Fixing the SSH key was easy but we had to go out to our Certificate Authority to generate new certs which extended our outage.  BE SURE TO EXPORT YOUR CERTIFICATES prior to reload in case they are lost and you need to import them after the reload.

27 Replies 27

bengood22
Level 1
Level 1

I'd really like to know what the hold up is as well. 9.8.4 was just released and this is still not fixed. I am probably going to have to change to 9.6 or 9.10.

Cisco TAC asked if they could downgrade my SR for this bug from 2 to 3. I
said no, we've had 3 outages related to this problem. No status or ETA for
the fix, and the problem description is lacking. Not sure why Cisco
wouldn't give this bug more focus to correct other than their support
resources are focused on the newer FTD image.

No status updates or estimated bug resolution date from Cisco on this ASA code problem.

spbench
Level 1
Level 1

codewize
Level 1
Level 1

We are one of the original finders of this bug and I understand the frustration. We're waiting patiently to find a safe harbor release of ASA code

yleduc
Level 1
Level 1

Just upgraded to 9.8.3(29) from 9.8.2(20) and got hit within days with this bug with pretty much the same config.

The bug id says that it is fixed with latest info on the bug being today (May 21) but when I go to the list of available software, there is nothing new. Known fixed released is empty.

I couldn't wait any longer. I upgraded to 9.10(1.17) and haven't seen any issues yet.

Hello,

has it been a while since you upgraded to 9.10(1.17) ? How frequent was the problem occurring prior to the upgrade?

Thanks.

It hasn't been long. I updated one pair about 2 weeks ago and 2 other pairs on 5/19. We were having the issue on 9.8.3 constantly. I had stopped resetting them and was jumping in through ASDM on a device still on 9.8.2.

I also see in the Bug CSCvn65598 the status is "Fixed" but there's no new
download or information on what 9.8(3) release this gets fixed in. Hey
Cisco, can you at least provide some information instead of keeping
everyone in the dark? We are not upgrading to 9.10 so give some feedback
on when it may be resolved. I have a Sev 2 SR on this problem. Thanks.

We have a Sev 2 problem in with the TAC on this bug and we're not getting any status updates from the TAC.  The Level 2 TAC engineer initially assigned my SR quit Cisco and all I've gotten over the last 4 or 5 weeks is no status update.  I understand problems can take awhile to fix but at least give the customer IT networking/security teams that recommend and purchase Cisco products an estimated date on when problems are going to be resolved so they can make an decision on what to do (upgrade/downgrade code).

to ALL, When we first reported this bug is was known that the act of uploading a file via ASDM, any file but in our case, an image (picture) file for the use of a customized portal page, is what triggered the bug. We had tested this a few times before reporting the bug. 
The previous mention about the ASDM reloading the config etc causes the issue also seems viable but that was NOT the trigger for us. We do not typically use ASDM for anything more than the things you can't do on CLI, like customizing the portal pages.
I recently moved to 9.8(3)-29 but have not had a chance to test it. 

But the bottom line is, the trigger for us was the act of uploading a file via ASDM. Nothing more. I had been able manipulate certs without an issue so the config refresh idea was not the case in my scenario

After reading this I realize I may need to clarify. Uploading a file causes the issue but you don't see the problem until you close and reopen the ASDM. It does not happen WHILE you're uploading a file. But that locks up the file system causing ASDM to look like it fails on the next login attempt

I've contacted our Cisco sales rep regarding the status on this bug.  Just got a response back saying it was fixed in 9.8.4 but there is no reference to bug CSCvn65598 being resolved in ANY of the Release Notes.  The Release notes for 9.8(x), which includes 9.8(4), indicates it's still an open bug.  The Interim Release Notes for 9.8(4)7, dated 6/4/2019, does not have any reference to CSCvn65598 defect being resolved.

So the bug has not been fixed and released as far as I can tell and there are 59 Support Cases in CSCvn65598 documented with this bug.

I'm not sure why a sales rep would know the answer to that question but this, as you can see, has been a very mysterious ongoing item.
I've asked a few people about it being marked fixed and they've all said it's not fixed
Tomorrow I will open a TAC case to follow up on the bug. Since Im' the person who reported the bug, I will find out what the actual status is and ask them to adjust the bug ID page correctly.