cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Business Dashboard(trial) schedule discovery

antobas2000
Level 1
Level 1

We have installed CBD Dashboard and probe with the latest updates.

Dashboard - Probe connection is good.

Firewall site we have already opened ports also verified there is no traffic block.

Issue :

I'm unable to scan other networks dashboard using schedule discovery.

From the switch we can ping the dashboard / probe ip's.

By enabling embedded probe on the CBS switches we are able to add the switches to the dashboardimage-20230710-061658-20230717-071241.png.

Can anyone advise how to enable dashboard/probe to scan other networks.

SNMP communication to the device is perfect.

3 Replies 3

Mark Fang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The network in CBD has two types. One is "Probe Managed",  the other is "Direct Managed".

The "Search IP range for devices" only can be applied to a "Direct Managed" network. In a "Direct Managed" network, you only need to connect the first device to CBD manually, then this device will work as a SEED to discover other devices in the network and connects these devices to CBD automatically. To perform a "Search IP range for devices" operation, the network must be online, which means you should have at least connected the first SEED device to CBD.

CBD is designed to be able to locate at any convenient location which can be in the cloud and the device can be behind the firewall and NAT. In this case, CBD cannot reach the device directly. That's why you must connect at least one device in your network to CBD manually as this device will proxy the discovery traffic from CBD to other devices until all devices connect to CBD. 

I see the job failed with the reason "Network is offline". Please connect one CBS switch in your network "Site - Switches" to CBD, generally other devices in same network can be discovered automatically so you don't need to do a "Search IP range for devices".

BTW, to work with "Direct Managed" network, all devices in your network must support direct management. Please refer the Cisco Business Dashboard - Device Support List for a list of devices and software versions that support direct management. 

Direct managed devices (example CBS250/CBS350 ) switches which already has embedded probe on them . I tried to add 1 cisco switch on 10.1.xx.0/24 subnet it was successful and cbd discovered the AP,Router connected to the switch . 

Current Scenario : 

1. I have around 300-500 sites 10.x.x.x/24 each site . We wanted to monitor and manage all the site switches in cbd. So direct managed wont work in my scenario . 

Current setup :

Dashboard & Probe - 10.x.x.x/20 are in the same network. running version 2.6.1 .
Dashboard is scanning the devices in the same network 10.x.x.x/20 but it doesn't scan any other network. I tried to do schedule scan and the result came as network is offline. 

Verified on firewall site all the necessary port are open and there is no issue.

Please advise me how to enable cbd to scan the other networks to capture the cbsxxx,sgxxx switches to the dashboard.

Mark Fang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Probe deliberately does not actively scan IP ranges to discover devices as that can cause problems in some networks. Basically Probe can only manage devices in same network(same VLAN). I think you will need to enable one Probe in each site.

The "Search IPv4 range for devices" only can be applied to a "Direct Managed" network. You can try to create a network with type as "Direct Managed" then connect one CBS250/350 to this network, then run the "Search IPv4 range for devices" on this network. Make sure the devices in this IP range can be reached from the device that has already been connected to CBD. But sgxxx cannot be managed in a Direct Managed network.

It would probably be a good idea to call the support team using the local phone numbers published at https://cisco.com/go/sbsc.