cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

As a wireless engineer should I buy a laptop with a built in LAN card?

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

I am in conversation with an employer for a wireless test engineer, requiring some travel, and lab testing equipment, and remote testing. The job wants familiarity with RF equipment and part of it says this: 

• Responsible for maintenance of wireless test equipment such as Spectrum analyzers, network and device emulators, power meters, etc. and maintenance of equipment calibration intervals.

For this position I'm going to be buying a laptop. Does it matter if I buy with with a built in 10/100 Ethernet LAN card? I found a laptop for my needs which doesn't have one., and I read a USB ethernet adapter can work same way as built in, and in most cases works on most laptops with no driver. Would I be okay using a USB adapter with my laptop?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nowadays most of the Laptops have built-in Wireless which is a basic requirement and it become defacto.

For wireless testing, you may need different Gadgets also, so you can also use any USB if required to test.

Most Chipsets are nowadays are good and able to test, make sure they up to standard to you can test all Wireless frequencies.

Tell your Employer you need to right tools to do the right job.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nowadays most of the Laptops have built-in Wireless which is a basic requirement and it become defacto.

For wireless testing, you may need different Gadgets also, so you can also use any USB if required to test.

Most Chipsets are nowadays are good and able to test, make sure they up to standard to you can test all Wireless frequencies.

Tell your Employer you need to right tools to do the right job.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Are there any features I should include in my laptop? The only features i took note of are 5g, LTE, wireless, and a LAN card. Ok time to do some research, thank you for the reply.