cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs not showing as offline in DNAC when they are powered off

mat_rouch
Level 1
Level 1

A few days ago we were doing network maintenance in one of our buildings, which has about two dozen APs.  I noticed that while the building's network equipment was offline, DNAC showed the *switches'* status as down, but all the APs still showed as up and reachable.  This was for an extended period, at least an hour.  During that time the APs' IP addresses were definitely unreachable (you could not ping them, for example.)  The APs were completely without power, not just isolated from DNAC.  

Any idea why this would be, or how to correct it?  I did just this morning create email notifications for AP-related issues that I hope will help, but that does not explain why DNAC showed those devices as online.

I checked into this a bit, and the situation is a little murky.  When you google “DNAC polling interval” you are told that the default value is once every 24 hours, and that you can change this by setting the “resynch interval” to a different value, either globally or per-device.  However, this can’t be the whole story, because DNAC *does* notice within a couple minutes if a switch goes offline, and changes its status to “down”.  So some other mechanism must be at work.

To make things even less clear, the “resynch interval” on APs is set to “N/A” and it cannot be changed, at least not within DNAC.  Maybe that’s inherited from the WLC and you need to change it there (?)

Anyway, short version - does anyone know why APs don't change state to Unreachable in DNAC when they are powered off?  The APs from this specific incident are 1815Ws and 2702Es.  Our running DNA Center version is 2.3.5.3-70194.

Thanks in advance,

-Mat Rouch

1 Reply 1

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One helpful piece of info is that DNA doesn't actually test the reachability itself.  It relies on the WLC for that info.  You are probably hitting a bug.  Please open a TAC case to investigate.