Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign/Move/Relocate Access Point to different Site/Building/Floor

Hi,

For Non-fabric deployment.

I've provisioned the C9800-WLC-1, created WLANs. profiles, managed AP locations, and assigned APs to such location Floor...and life is good; all works as expected.

Now I've Provisioned C9800-WLC-2, configured WLANs, profiles, assigned WLC to a site (AP managed sites as well), and I want to move AP being assigned to Site managed by C9800-WLC-1 to a site managed by a C9800-WLC-2.

It doesn't seems to be possible. When I'm trying to Provision/Assign APs managed by C9800-WLC-1, all the other Floors (except currently  assigned) are greyed out.

This seems to be similar to switches assigned to a Site in DNAC. 

However with the switches, I could simply delete them from Inventory and during re-discover add them to a New Site.

With APs, I can't even delete them from Inventory...I'm getting an info:

The selected Access Point (Managed by WLC) cannot be deleted.

PiotrBurczyk80035_0-1689843864798.png

So....how can I move and assign AP to another Site/Building/Floor at DNA-C?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In Workflows of the main menu there is a Configure Access Point workflow that will let you change the primary controller that the AP reports to.  I can't test on a provisioned AP at the moment, but I expect DNA will let you reprovision the AP after it as rebooted and registered with the new AP.  That would be the simplest way.

If not, this will work:

1- Delete AP from DNA Inventory
2- Default AP and add it to the new controller
3- Once it has been discovered by DNA, provision it to the new site

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In Workflows of the main menu there is a Configure Access Point workflow that will let you change the primary controller that the AP reports to.  I can't test on a provisioned AP at the moment, but I expect DNA will let you reprovision the AP after it as rebooted and registered with the new AP.  That would be the simplest way.

If not, this will work:

3- Once it has been discovered by DNA, provision it to the new site

Thanks Preston,

indeed - associating Access Point to WLC, that is set to manage new AP location is the way to go.

Once AP was registered to new WLC (I've done this through Configure AP Workflow) and DNA-C recognize this, it allows me to Assign to a Building/Floor that is managed by new WLC, and it also allows to re-provision AP with a Profile configured for its new Floor.

Watching as DNA-C improves with new releases, I'd be guessing, that in some newer DNA-C software release, this 2-step process would be bundled into a single workflow.

As for the second option, I've played around a bit to accomplish my goal with this method and this wasn't straightforward whatsoever

I wasn't able to delete AP that was managed by active WLC.
The only way around this, was to shutdown AP, make sure DNA-C would recognize that AP as "offline" and then delete it.
This one was even more tricky than step 1. Factory reset of the AP from WLC, reset all the settings except it's previously joined WLC,
so when AP got back online, it registered to its previous WLC and appeared in DNA-C again, as "managed by WLC".
Factory reset via CLI was more helpful, but I had to do it in a proper manner:

a) When AP is still managed by old WLC I had to enable ssh, log into AP, and run "capwap erase all", reload AP and disconnect it from the network before it boots back up.
b) Sync WLC config with DNA-C and make sure AP would be seen as "unreachable"
c) Delete AP from DNA-C Inventory.
d) Connect AP back to the network and proceed to point # 3 3- Once it has been discovered by DNA, provision it to the new site

craighowson
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to hijack this thread but it is the most relevant to my issue. I am experiencing the same issue but with a switch (not AP).

How can I provision/assign a switch to a different site? When I go into the provision process the suit is greyed out. If I delete the switch from the inventory with a view to re-discover it will this affect the switch in production? We LAN automate our switches.