cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

c3650 switch : Only Cisco Catalyst 9000 Series Switches support Layer

jaheshkhan
Level 4
Level 4

When we try to deploy c3650 switch as edge in DNAC it ended up the error as follows:

"NCSO20544: Failed to add device L04-IDF04-FE02-TEMP.domain.com to fabric. Only Cisco Catalyst 9000 Series Switches support Layer 2 Pools."

DNAC version:  2.2.3.4

switch model: Catalyst 3650-48PD-S
Swticth version : 16.12.08

we followed the following matrix:

Cisco Software-Defined Access Compatibility Matrix

What could be the reason?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Layer 3 Virtual Networks are supported on C3K and C4K switches. Layer 2 Virtual Network with Gateway Outside the Fabric is not supported on C3K and C4K switches.

View solution in original post

Hi jaheshkhan, the error message suggests there is a "Layer 2 Pool". This translates to an access segment with no IP Gateway inside the fabric. Usually an "Layer 2 Pool" is configured by checking "Layer-2 Only", please check your Virtual Networks for any occurance of this:

jedolphi_0-1677657611707.png

At last I found one vlan without IP Pool. what do we do now in this case? any solution? can we use it as separate zone?

jaheshkhan_0-1677663483275.png

also i got another information related to license that it required Network advantages license as well.

11 Replies 11

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello jaheshkhan, pure L2 segments (aka Layer 2 Virtual Network, aka Gateway Outside the Fabric, aka Layer-2 Only) were added to SD-Access after C3K switches went End of Sale. This means: 1. If you have a C3K switch in the fabric then you cannot configure a Layer 2 Virtual Network with Gateway Outside the Fabric, or 2. if you configure a Layer 2 Virtual Network with Gateway Outside the Fabric then you cannot add a C3K switch to the fabric. Regards, Jerome

that means its not supporting right? then why SDA matric mentions its supporting VNET etc?? i didnt get your point.

Layer 3 Virtual Networks are supported on C3K and C4K switches. Layer 2 Virtual Network with Gateway Outside the Fabric is not supported on C3K and C4K switches.

May I know what do you mean by gateway outside the fabric. our gateway are all in the border control switch ? in that case its in the fabric not outside the fabric.  if im wrong please guide me.

Hi jaheshkhan, the error message suggests there is a "Layer 2 Pool". This translates to an access segment with no IP Gateway inside the fabric. Usually an "Layer 2 Pool" is configured by checking "Layer-2 Only", please check your Virtual Networks for any occurance of this:

jedolphi_0-1677657611707.png

strange .. as I mentioned we dont have such kind of situation. all are in with ip address pool

I forgot to mention about license.

we dont have license for this switch because this is temporary switch until we  receive our order. is it because of that?
license details are given below

sh license summary
Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Export-Controlled Functionality: NOT ALLOWED

License Authorization:

License Usage:
License Entitlement tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(C3650-48 IP Base) 1 IN-USE

#show license status
Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Utility:

Data Privacy:
Sending Hostname: yes
Callhome hostname privacy: DISABLED
Smart Licensing hostname privacy: DISABLED
Version privacy: DISABLED

Transport:
Type: Callhome

Export-Controlled Functionality: NOT ALLOWED

License Authorization:

License Conversion:
Automatic Conversion Enabled: False

Export Authorization Key:
Features Authorized:
<none>

show license usage
License Authorization:

(C3650-48 IP Base):
Description:
Count: 1
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

Please find compatibility issue mentioning in DNAC

jaheshkhan_0-1677659956050.png

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi jaheshkhan, you are correct, the license level on 3650 is insufficient for SD-Access, however the first error message you shared does not indicate licensing is incorrect. Can you please raise a TAC case? Troubleshooting will be much faster working with a dedicated support engineer. Also I should mention that 3650 switch is End of Sale and we recommend customers do not deploy new 3650 switches into SD-Access. Regards, Jerome

At last I found one vlan without IP Pool. what do we do now in this case? any solution? can we use it as separate zone?

jaheshkhan_0-1677663483275.png

Well done. You need to delete it from SD-Access, OR, use only C9K switches in the associated SD-Access Fabric Site.

also i got another information related to license that it required Network advantages license as well.