Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco catalyst 8000 as a proxy server

saidcr7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Currently I need to  configure the proxy server address in browser lan settings. So it is very difficult for me to configure the same in new pcs ( I need to do it one by one in new machines). So is there any way to configure my catalyst 8000 switch as a proxy server. So that I think I don't need to configure the proxy settings in each machines. Whether is there any way to do that. TIA

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @saidcr7 ,

as far as I know, a Cisco router cannot function as a web proxy server. You can however configure something that is called Transparent Web Proxy on a cisco router using the WCCP protocol, Cisco proprietary, and a proxy server like Linux Squid.

What WCCP does is intercept the initial HTTP request from a client PC, it redirects it to the real proxy server, the proxy server fetches the requested web page, it caches it and replies to the PC changing the source address of the reply packet to that of the real web server. The PC is unaware that the reply came from a proxy server and not from the real web server.

It doesn't solve your original question, but I think by not having to set a proxy server in every PC and in fact using a proxy server is a good workaround.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @saidcr7 

Catalyst 8000 routers do not include built-in functionality to act as a proxy server. 

You should consider to deploy dedicated proxy server software or appliances within your network. These solutions can provide centralized control over web traffic, caching, content filtering, and so on.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @saidcr7 ,

as far as I know, a Cisco router cannot function as a web proxy server. You can however configure something that is called Transparent Web Proxy on a cisco router using the WCCP protocol, Cisco proprietary, and a proxy server like Linux Squid.

What WCCP does is intercept the initial HTTP request from a client PC, it redirects it to the real proxy server, the proxy server fetches the requested web page, it caches it and replies to the PC changing the source address of the reply packet to that of the real web server. The PC is unaware that the reply came from a proxy server and not from the real web server.

It doesn't solve your original question, but I think by not having to set a proxy server in every PC and in fact using a proxy server is a good workaround.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @saidcr7 

Catalyst 8000 routers do not include built-in functionality to act as a proxy server. 

You should consider to deploy dedicated proxy server software or appliances within your network. These solutions can provide centralized control over web traffic, caching, content filtering, and so on.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.