cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA. Generate CSR from GUI

dijix1990
VIP
VIP

I try to generate CSR through GUI - System setting -> System Certificates -> Generate new CSR, but I get error - "The common name does not contain a valid IP address or Domain Name" but maglev cluster network display shows that cluster_hostname the same common name

18 Replies 18

pieterh
VIP
VIP

fill in the form like this,
pieterh_0-1676023267306.png

common name = FQDN,
SAN1=FQDN,
SAN2=short-name,
SAN3=enterprise-ip-address, or host-address (at least one SAN of type IP-address is necessary)
don't forget SAN4,5,6 for the other nodes in the cluster

Hi, I have different form - DNA last version (CN = cluster_hostname )

dijix1990_0-1676026087237.png

Hmmm...
and dna.global.ftp resolves to one of the SANIP's ?
is this a single node cluster ?
else I expect four SANIP addresses in same subnet (3x node 1x cluster address)

Yes, it's single node cluster, prepared for adding second node and third node later.. And if I set vip cluster ip address as CN it works, I can generate csr... That is strange 

>>> That is strange <<<
No not really.
when the cient device (switch) tries to connect to DNA (like file transfer of new image) it will do so by using the IP-address, not the cluster name, -> the VIP must be in the certificate

What do you mean? How does Web certificate refer to devices? I want to generate CSR for web 

if you would use DNA's function to distribute software to switches, then DNA sends a "copy scp://<VIP>" or "copy https://<VIP>" command to the switch (https is prefered method)
for the "copy https:" method, a certificate need to be present on the DNA server that can be validated by switch that requests the file
therefore the VIP-address needs to be present in the certificate (the same certificate is also used for web management)

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I can't get this to work either - DNAC 2.3.5.4.

As @dijix1990 mentioned in his opening comments, if we use the same Common Name that DNAC put there when it generated the initial self-signed cert, then the CSR error still happens. I checked my DNS server and all the A and PTR records are in place for the nodes and the cluster - I even created a pnpserver.mydomain.com A record. 

I also tried openssl CSR creation but when I upload the CSR and Private Key, DNAC throws the same error (no valid IP or hostname in Common Name).  

The DNAC user guide says this - I tried hostname and FQDN

ArneBier_0-1704925028744.png

Has anyone found a solution to this?

OMG. When you use an IP address in the Subject Common Name (which is the most stupid thing in the world) then it works.

ArneBier_1-1704925186583.png

Cisco stuffed this up in grandiose style yet again

Yeah, it's stupid, I used as CN ip address and set in the "SAN dns" dns name for every interface

look at this document:
Cisco DNA Center Security Best Practices Guide - Cisco
section : Example of openssl.cnf with IP only
describes which IP-addresses you need for a three node cluster

If I remove node#2 and #3 this would be:

DNS.1 = FQDN-of-Cisco-DNA-Center
DNS.2 = pnpserver.DomainAssignedByDHCPDuringPnP.tld
IP.1 = Enterprise port IP node #1
IP.2 = Enterprise port VIP
IP.3 = Cluster port IP node #1
IP.4 = Cluster port VIP
IP.5 = GUI port IP node #1
IP.6 = GUI port VIP
IP.7 = Cloud port IP node #1
IP.8 = Cloud port VIP

It has web gui for CSR, why we need to go through difficult way? It's a bug that's all

I get the same error when I used openssl with a multi-SAN cert. The only time DNAC accepts it, is when the Subject Common Name is an IPv4 address. That is stupid at so many levels.

Hi @Arne Bier , did you use the same hostname as in the screenshot from @dijix1990  posted10-02-2023 11:48 AM ?
is this hostname dna.global.ftp resolvable in your DNS ?

Hello Pieter. No way - my DNAC host is not called dna.global.ftp - I think that was a made-up name anyway. The Subject is meant to be something that relates to the FQDN of the cert you're creating.

DNAC GUI has come a long way since the old days. These days, DNAC gives you a simple option of asking you the subject Name, and a few SAN entries. I gave up in the end and just used a valid IP in the Subject, and DNAC produced the CSR for me - the cert looks like this.

ArneBier_0-1705314004830.png

All of the FQDNs in the SAN are resolvable.

The joke is that when I built this lab DNAC, the self-signed cert that DNAC created for me had a Subject Common Name containing dna-cluster.rnlab.local - of course it was a self-signed cert, which prompted me to create a CSR so I could have a proper cert generated. And then landed in this mess.  But so far with IP in the Subject I have no complaints from the browser, because the SAN matches the FQDN that I put into the URL of the browser. It just looks ugly having IP addresses in the Subject (and in the SAN .. I don't know why this is a technical requirement - you don't see other vendors doing such things. And what happens in the case of IPv6?  But that's a a whole other can of worms)