Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid CLI response when provisioning templates

RhysCrane2388
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an intermittent problem where DNA Center seems to error out when provisioning templates to switches, the log says:

Message: Unable to push the invalid CLI to the device 192.0.2.2 using protocol ssh2. Invalid CLI -  'terminal width 0'. 
Command Output : failed.

This config is not in the template, i am assuming its run as part of the provisioning service that sends out config. Has anyone see something like this?

DNAC: 2.3.5.4 HF3

Switch: 9200L 17.11.1

Its not every time, and it seems a second provision will fix it, its not easily reproducible at all.
I cant seem to find any bug or information when searching, so i thought i would try here before TAC.

Cheers

Rhys

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

DNA will try to set terminal width and terminal length before issuing any commands related to the template(s)
it will set both to max values, to avoid lines from wrapping and avoid  the "more" prompt.
terminal length:         • Range = 0 to 511 lines
                                • Default = 24 lines
                                • Disable = 0 (scrolls continuously)
for terminal width  :   • Range = 24 to 511 characters  
                                • Default = 88 characters
So:  "terminal width 0" IS  invalid , "terminal length 0" is valid

My suggestion is: DNA just sends it's commands to fast, so receive buffer overflows and the two commands merge into one
this can explain why a second provision can be executed  normally, ( it's about timing when sending commands)

=> I guess it's a bug, 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwh39165

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi,

The linked bug id  https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwf37179 indicates that its a problem with variables bound to source.

The template that has failed has no variables at all.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

DNA will try to set terminal width and terminal length before issuing any commands related to the template(s)
it will set both to max values, to avoid lines from wrapping and avoid  the "more" prompt.
terminal length:         • Range = 0 to 511 lines
                                • Default = 24 lines
                                • Disable = 0 (scrolls continuously)
for terminal width  :   • Range = 24 to 511 characters  
                                • Default = 88 characters
So:  "terminal width 0" IS  invalid , "terminal length 0" is valid

My suggestion is: DNA just sends it's commands to fast, so receive buffer overflows and the two commands merge into one
this can explain why a second provision can be executed  normally, ( it's about timing when sending commands)

=> I guess it's a bug, 

I ran into the same issue described here and in the process of investigating it, I found out that terminal width 0 is a valid command. It didn't help me with my issue, but I wanted to share this with you guys.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

RhysCrane2388
Level 1
Level 1

Yeh its part of the process i cant effect. Hopefully TAC can help.